• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best harness for a tank? (1 Viewer)

OK I've got these Swarovski 8x50B binoculars that are 8 inches long and weigh in at 1150 grams. That's almost 41 oz. Ouch! I inherited them so I couldn't choose anything smaller or lighter. They are really beautiful to look through but I've actually never had them off my upper deck and usually on a monopod. I think I'd like to try and carry them once in awhile but I kind of take longish semi strenuous hikes that go up and down on narrow mountain trails.

I have regular bino harnesses and I'll try them out but I think something a little better/stronger design might be in order and maybe something that protects them a little. Have any of you got real experience with a bino harness that would be appropriate for such a large and heavy binocular?
BC, Henry's suggestion looks good, and Steve's tractor test is hard to top. Is something like a Black Rapid Sling suitable? Very comfortable - just get the length right to stop bouncing around on the hip, then a casual hand rested on it as walking keeps it in check. Super fast to use (with a camera - not sure of attachments/accessories and orientations and success with bins). I lump ~6lb of DSLR + lens around for the best part of a day without too much drama.

........ ?? :cat:

http://www.blackrapid.com/Sport-Breathe

Chosun :gh:

I'm not an optics pro. I'm just as happy with my Zens or Sightrons or Meoptas or Celestrons or whatever I'm using at the moment. I think of them all as my Alpha bins and feel blessed to have any of them. The world is full of people who can't afford to eat and I get to own a dozen pair of good binoculars. As long as I get to see something I'm pretty happy and they all do that very well. I keep buying new ones so I have something to talk about here. (true story)

Like.

BC, Henry's suggestion looks good, and Steve's tractor test is hard to top. Is something like a Black Rapid Sling suitable? Very comfortable - just get the length right to stop bouncing around on the hip, then a casual hand rested on it as walking keeps it in check. Super fast to use (with a camera - not sure of attachments/accessories and orientations and success with bins). I lump ~6lb of DSLR + lens around for the best part of a day without too much drama.

........ ?? :cat:

http://www.blackrapid.com/Sport-Breathe

Chosun :gh:

I often walk with hiking poles so I can't be resting a hand on binos and as I said I have two bulky belt packs that might get in the way. I'll bet it's comfortable but not the way I hike.

I do both of these depending on the situation. I have a bad neck, so no matter how padded or wide the strap is, "behind the neck" really isn't an option for full-sized binoculars (or cameras) of any weight.

• Bino straps that can hook to the shoulder d-rings on your favorite ergonomic or well-designed backpack. I always use proper backpacks with a lumbar/hip belt belt, curved shoulder straps, etc.
  • Bino straps as part of your favorite two-shoulder camera holster system (Black Rapid, Cotton Carrier, etc.).

Basically any system off the neck and hanging at your chest rather than off to one side.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back