• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to best attach ocular covers when using harness?? (2 Viewers)

LucaPCP

Happy User
I have fallen in love with the Rick Young harnesses: so easy to use, they take so little space I can wrap them around the binoculars and store in the binocular case (no more loose straps in my backpack that get caught on everything)...

But the problem, common to most harnesses I guess, is how to attach the ocular covers. If using a strap, the covers are threaded through the strap, but this is not possible when using a harness, since the harness "pulls" on the binoculars at an angle. So I have been using a small rope, as in the photos. This works, but it's not great, because the covers dangle too much, and they sometimes get twisted with the harness.

Has anyone found a great way to solve this problem?

Luca

Attachments

• IMG_7116.jpeg
    IMG_7116.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7117.jpeg
    IMG_7117.jpeg
    425 KB · Views: 17
I have fallen in love with the Rick Young harnesses: so easy to use, they take so little space I can wrap them around the binoculars and store in the binocular case (no more loose straps in my backpack that get caught on everything)...

But the problem, common to most harnesses I guess, is how to attach the ocular covers. If using a strap, the covers are threaded through the strap, but this is not possible when using a harness, since the harness "pulls" on the binoculars at an angle. So I have been using a small rope, as in the photos. This works, but it's not great, because the covers dangle too much, and they sometimes get twisted with the harness.

Has anyone found a great way to solve this problem?

Luca

Luca,

I use small zip ties with the RYO harness. Less dangle and no twisting.

Mike

I also just zip tie the RY harness to the mount point without metal rings. I also use a small loop of cord for the ocular cover as others have done in their photos :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back