• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (61 Viewers)

Saturday 12th May

This morning's sightings were as follows:

MOORS POOL
1 Dunlin, 1 Common Sand, 4 Oystercatcher, 2 Mute Swan, 2 Common Terns through earlier, Arctic Tern briefly at 9:55, 30 Tufted Duck (21m, 9f), 37 Canada Geese, 5 GC Grebe, 4 Little Grebe, 34 Coot, 3 Gadwall (pair + male), 3 Moorhen, c90 Swift, 20 House Martin, 10 Sand Martin, 5 Swallow, several Buzzard, 2 LBB Gull, Little Gull.

SAILING POOL
6 GC Grebe, 2 Mute Swan

FLASHES

6 Dunlin (2 groups of 3), 7 LRP, 4 Lapwing, 10 Avocet, male Gadwall, 4 Moorhen, 11 Coot, 9 Canada Geese, 2 LBB Gull, Yellow Wagtail (heard), first summer Med Gull, Little Gull sat on shoreline close to the hide and calling regularly (sounds almost like a parakeet!)

Most encouraging though was the emergence of 3 Oystercatcher chicks at the Moors Pool and at least 2 Lapwing chicks at the Flashes; makes all the management work worthwhile.

Most encouraging though was the emergence of 3 Oystercatcher chicks at the Moors Pool and at least 2 Lapwing chicks at the Flashes; makes all the management work worthwhile

That's great news, lets hope they can get to to fledging :t:

Here's some pics from this morning. The Fox, with the large carp, I think. The Swift is interesting, not only because its about to catch an insect, but because of the defect or injury on its flank - or maybe it's something else?

Attachments

• Dunlin.jpg
    Dunlin.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 124
  • MedGull.jpg
    MedGull.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Fox.jpg
    Fox.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Swift.jpg
    Swift.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 146
  • BD.jpg
    BD.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Off topic here but I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have a copy of "Birdwatching on Mull & Iona" I could borrow? Most places are out of stock and others may not be able to get it to me on time. Not going until the 9th June but don't want to run the risk of it being delivered late.

Here's some pics from this morning. The Fox, with the large carp, I think. The Swift is interesting, not only because its about to catch an insect, but because of the defect or injury on its flank - or maybe it's something else?
Gertatron

Dunlin shot is made by the Little Gull just happenning to fly into shot. Was the Fox at the Flashes inside the fence. Any flight shot is good, a Swift is impressive, it could be a tick but looks big for that, might have you looking twice if it was on the rump(Reported-Pacific not)

Bees Bees & more Bees

Please could anyone help me identify some of the following pictures of Bees.

1 = Tawny Mining Bee ?
2 = ?
3 = ?
4 = ?
5 = ?

Also could someone recomend a good Bee reference book please.

Many thanks

Simon P :stuck:

Attachments

• Tawny-Mining-Bee.jpg
    Tawny-Mining-Bee.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Unknown-Bee-1.jpg
    Unknown-Bee-1.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Unknown-Bee-2.jpg
    Unknown-Bee-2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Unknown-Bee-3.jpg
    Unknown-Bee-3.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4018.jpg
    IMG_4018.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 63
A Few photos of birds.

Just a few snaps of birds from my last few visits to the Moors.

Simon P ;)

Attachments

• Long-Tailed-Tit-Juvenile-1.jpg
    Long-Tailed-Tit-Juvenile-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Long-Tailed-Tit-Juvenile-2.jpg
    Long-Tailed-Tit-Juvenile-2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 67
  • Sedge-Warbler-1.jpg
    Sedge-Warbler-1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Sedge-Warbler-2.jpg
    Sedge-Warbler-2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Greater-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    Greater-Spotted-Woodpecker.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 62
Macro pics

I've been messing around with my macro set up. Sorry to subject you to more creepy crawlies.

Pic 3 = Spider eating a fly.
Pic 2 = Unknown spiders (Foreplay?)
Pic 3 = Sloe Bug?
Pic 4 = 7 Spot Ladybirds.

Simon P :t:

Attachments

• Spider-eating-a-fly.jpg
    Spider-eating-a-fly.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Spiders-69.jpg
    Spiders-69.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Sloe-Bug--.jpg
    Sloe-Bug--.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 7-Spot-Ladybirds.jpg
    7-Spot-Ladybirds.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 53
Si B - further to our conversation this morning, I now recall that the longest staying Little Gull was a first summer bird present an incredible 61 days in 2005 (23rd May to 22nd July).

Please could anyone help me identify some of the following pictures of Bees.

1 = Tawny Mining Bee ?
2 = ?
3 = ?
4 = ?
5 = ?

Also could someone recomend a good Bee reference book please.

Many thanks

Simon P :stuck:
Hi Si in my opinion
1 agreed
2. Buff tailed bumblebee (even with a white tail it has a yellow upper band)
3 not sure type of solitary bee or honey bee
4 and 5. common carder bumblebee
B :)john

I've been messing around with my macro set up. Sorry to subject you to more creepy crawlies.

Pic 3 = Spider eating a fly.
Pic 2 = Unknown spiders (Foreplay?)
Pic 3 = Sloe Bug?
Pic 4 = 7 Spot Ladybirds.

Simon P :t:
Si all great shots..would be nice to see them on the Upton flicker site
B :)john

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Gert and John.
How do i post on the Uptonwarren Flicker site? I'm guessing i would need to register or something? Would the flicker site be the site that Gert linked at the end of his post?

Questions Questions so many Questions, I'm sorry about all the Questions.

Simon P 8-P

Off topic here but I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen have a copy of "Birdwatching on Mull & Iona" I could borrow? Most places are out of stock and others may not be able to get it to me on time. Not going until the 9th June but don't want to run the risk of it being delivered late.

Hi Gav. Sadly I can't help you with the book you're after, but, I do recommend the Isle Of Mull Bird Report, Issue 9 available at: http://www.mullbirds.com/LATESTREPORTS.html. I found the report really useful in providing a good idea of where the best places are to go on Mull.

I have a copy of Issue 8 of the report - happy to post it to you if you want to take a look.

Cheers now,

Si

Thanks for the feedback Gert and John.
How do i post on the Uptonwarren Flicker site? I'm guessing i would need to register or something? Would the flicker site be the site that Gert linked at the end of his post?

Questions Questions so many Questions, I'm sorry about all the Questions.

Simon P 8-P

Yep thats right, then ask me nicely to join the group ;) ( 26 members now :eek!: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back