• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (54 Viewers)

As promised; having incorporated the latest data into the older figures (since 4th Mar 12 when the weather station was erected), here are three updated charts...
Wind
Outdoor Temperature
24 Hour Period Rainfall (sorry I've no data for the Dungeon, but I could supply data for the Penthouse)

SJV

Attachments

• Wind 12_05_16.jpg
    Wind 12_05_16.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 59
  • Temp 12_05_16.jpg
    Temp 12_05_16.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 24 Rain 12_05_16.jpg
    24 Rain 12_05_16.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
RNP at Slimbridge today. What's the chance of it being OUR bird?
Bob I can't remember when but they also had one before the Upton bird (3rd May). Last year the first bird stayed around for a couple of weeks or more on and off. We didn't know where it was going in the intervening periods, but there is some history between Upton and slimbridge with phalaropes. Our first Wilson's was originally at slimbridge it departed to re-appear at Upton an hour later. The Avocets have also been commuting between Upton and slimbridge this spring or at least there is circumstantial evidence that this was the case.
It would have been nice if the white tailed plover had done the same.;)

Last edited:
After the Lord Mayor's show, today's highlights:

FLASHES:

Little Gull (1st S)---------------------Avocet (10)
LRP (6)--------------------------------Pochard (4)
Whitthroat (2)------------------------Common Tern (2)
Linnet (6)-----------------------------Tufted Duck (19)
Shelduck (4)

MOORS:

Common Sand-----------------------LRP
Common Tern (2)-------------------Oystercatcher (2+chick). 3 chicks seen a.m.
Little Grebe--------------------------Mute Swan + 3 chicks
Kingfisher----------------------------Whitethroat (2)
G C Grebe (4)-----------------------Little Gull moved from Flashes mid morning
Tufted Duck (8)---------------------Starling (13 young)

Des.

Can anyone clarify how many Dunlin were taken by the Peregrine yesterday - reading the posts I got the impression it was two (one at 9am-ish and another late afternoon)?

Can anyone clarify how many Dunlin were taken by the Peregrine yesterday - reading the posts I got the impression it was two (one at 9am-ish and another late afternoon)?

Two Phil. The first one was taken but there were still 7 left, so assuming the first bird taken was a dunlin, then there was an extra bird not previously counted thus 8 to start with. A 2nd dunlin was taken at 4.45pm after which only 1 bird remained the other 5 departed with the RNP. Hope that makes sense, a bit convoluted but signifies the largest flock of dunlin for a couple of years or so.

John

You may may be correct, but the theory I heard for the first attack was that is was more likely an LRP that fell victim.

nice shots Sy. I forget to ask you yesterday if you could try and get a sound recording of the Little gull. Never heard that call from this species..its holding territory in front of the hide, sounds like a blackwit.B :)

It certainly sounds strange, John. The earliest that I can get back down is Saturday (not sure whether AM or PM) but I'll have a crack then, if it's still about.
Failing that, I'm around at home until 0930ish tomorrow (on call so I can't leave the premises) before I go to the NEC. If someone wants to come 'round and borrow the (very basic) kit just shout! I mean it, it'd be my pleasure...

Two Phil. The first one was taken but there were still 7 left, so assuming the first bird taken was a dunlin, then there was an extra bird not previously counted thus 8 to start with. A 2nd dunlin was taken at 4.45pm after which only 1 bird remained the other 5 departed with the RNP. Hope that makes sense, a bit convoluted but signifies the largest flock of dunlin for a couple of years or so.

Thanks for the clarification John - 8 birds would be the largest count of Dunlin since 17 were at the Flashes on the 15th May 2009.

Have the Avocets consumated yet? Slimbridge has a pair with 2 young - first breeding record for the County! I suppose Gloucestershire is classed as 'non-coastal' as the Severn, even there is still 'just a river'........

Laurie:t:

Female marsh harrier just circled over moors pool putting all the gulls up. It gained height then drifted south. It's a very distinctive bird with a couple of central retrices missing.

The Red Necked Phalarope was at Slimbridge again today. I was sent a photo of it via Twitter as per the attached. Anyone hazard a guess if this is 'our' bird??

Attachments

• AtGJwf9CIAIZA7g.jpeg
    AtGJwf9CIAIZA7g.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 80
The Red Necked Phalarope was at Slimbridge again today. I was sent a photo of it via Twitter as per the attached. Anyone hazard a guess if this is 'our' bird??

Hi Gert
I would say a different bird. Although we haven't got exactly the same angle shots, the slimbridge bird shows a more extensive amount of red on the side of the throat, the red smudge on the side of the breast has more white behind it on the slimbridge bird. Our bird also shows two grey lines in front of the red smudge on the side of its breast.
;)John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back