• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

i photo'd the bird initially from the main flashes hide and thought it was a marsh harrier i showed the others in the hide but was'nt completly confident, when i set off back it took off from half way between the two hides may have been sat on or near fence on flashes side of track it circled round a few times and was joined by a buzzard also circling this only added to the confusion, it then went off towards the moors i nipped round asked if anyone had seen it but the answer was no, it was mentioned in conversation but nothing said as to reporting it anywhere. if i had reported it and it was a buzzard i'd look a right twonk, if i wait to get a picture checked which i gather caused a little confusion i look a twonk. can someone who knows what he's doing please follow me round all day in future! lesson learn't if in doubt i'll text or bell john (upstart) in future. hope that explains it a bit clearer for all concerned.

I wouldn't worry about it Trace. Marsh Harriers are virtually impossible to twitch at Upton, even if you do put the news out straight away. I've seen about 10 at UW but only because I've been lucky enough to be on site at the time and/or found them myself. A couple of times I have been on site when they've been reported and I've managed to miss them.

A nice find, mate - first one of the autumn. :t:

i photo'd the bird initially from the main flashes hide and thought it was a marsh harrier i showed the others in the hide but was'nt completly confident, when i set off back it took off from half way between the two hides may have been sat on or near fence on flashes side of track it circled round a few times and was joined by a buzzard also circling this only added to the confusion, it then went off towards the moors i nipped round asked if anyone had seen it but the answer was no, it was mentioned in conversation but nothing said as to reporting it anywhere. if i had reported it and it was a buzzard i'd look a right twonk, if i wait to get a picture checked which i gather caused a little confusion i look a twonk. can someone who knows what he's doing please follow me round all day in future! lesson learn't if in doubt i'll text or bell john (upstart) in future. hope that explains it a bit clearer for all concerned.

YOU DID your bit TraceB :) good find

Tuesday Crew

Rob and vern have already mentioned it, but just to add what a
great effort from 14 of us today, including another newbie - Janette.
Also a special thanks to Rob Allen from the Trust , who organised the new hide build and finished off the steps today.

I can't add to Rob's pics.
If anybody wants to add constructive criticism, that will add to the overall enjoyment from the new hide. Then speak to Rob E (forgetfulelephant), me , paul or any wardens, or post on here so we can discuss it.
No negativity if you don't mind, there is no need for it with this hide. We can see a few things that need tweaking, but overall a great hide.
B :)John

ps if anybody finds a pair of 'wolf' loppers, can you give them to a warden:t:

Last edited:
Chris did you have a little egret this morning? only heard it 2nd hand:t:

There was a Little Egret at the Moors which i was told about by a photographer(don't know his name) as i entered the East Hide.I texted the lads over on the flashes Clive Lee,Brian Richardson and Terry Norledge but left the log entry to the finder (he and the Egret were still there when i left)
not wanting to covet his bird.

Orange kite

The kite flying at the sailing pool eastern field, has caused major disturbance with the Flashes water birds.
I have spoken to John H at the sailing centre and they have not allowed anybody to fly a kite.
It appears that this is happening at the weekends and after 6pm during the week. John is having a meeting tomorrow with his staff and will be trying to find out who the kite flyer is, so he can be informed that it will stop.
In the mean time, if you see this activity, can you take the registration number of his car (parked close to the kite flying) and if possible take a photo of the culprit. He is unaware of the effect on the birds, so no need to get involved in a confrontation. Could you pass the car reg and photo of him (if available) to Phil Andrews or Rob E. For them to pass to John H at the centre.
I will be away on Holiday after 23rd August for 2 weeks.
B :)John

There was a Little Egret at the Moors which i was told about by a photographer(don't know his name) as i entered the East Hide.I texted the lads over on the flashes Clive Lee,Brian Richardson and Terry Norledge but left the log entry to the finder (he and the Egret were still there when i left)
not wanting to covet his bird.

cheers Chris, suppressor still need it for the year3:):-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O
only joking
While I am away I hope you all have a great two weeks. No fighting, just happy times, gripping me off hopefully NOT8-P

Med Tonight in roost a new fresh juvenile with a red plastic ring on its right leg.;)

Here's the Ringed Mediterranean Gull pictures you wanted John, from this angle the digits look like H5F0 or H5FU

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 22.28.29.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 22.28.29.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 22.28.16.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-21 at 22.28.16.png
    268.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Today at the Flashes

After the work party spent 2.30pm until 9pm at the Flashes.
A slow start with very few waterfowl. But this evening numbers built up when 9 shoveler dropped in and 100's of canadas fed in the north field. The gulls arrived en masse after the thunderstorm skirted the reserve. A bit of 'vis mig' involved swift, sand martin and swallows.
Species Counts
little grebe, mallard c150, Teal 10, shoveler 14, tufted 3 ads plus 2 broods of 1 and 10/11. Canadas 220, greylag 21, water rail juv, coot 6 (1 still sitting)
Curlew 25, black tailed godwit 2 (ad plus juv), green sand 12, common sand 3, lapwing 80,
BHG 800, Med Gull juv, LBBG 3,
Kestrel, buzzard, Green woodpecker, great sp woodp, kingfisher, stock dove 40, Swift c10, swallow 6 family party, sand martin 1,
willow warbler, chiffchaff, reed warbler, blackcap, starling 145, rook 21, raven, jackdaw 100, linnet 5, goldfinch 30,

A couple of shots from tonight
1. MED gull
2. The dramatic cloud formation from the storm that skirted the reserve.

Attachments

• 1 med gull.jpg
    1 med gull.jpg
    329.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2 clouds.JPG
    2 clouds.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 99
Sorry to disappoint Phil - had a few more pressing issues y'day (completing on our new house, the missus' 34 week scan etc)

Ah say no more! I have a 5 week old daughter, who is severely disrupting my birding! Not that I mind too much, as she's totally amazing and I'm head over heels for her. I'll be at the reserve tomorrow after work for a few hours, hope to bump into you soon. Hope all goes well with your wife's pregnancy and I look forward to swapping baby stories with you in a hide soonB :)

Is it a birding holiday you are going on, John.........anywhere nice?

I'm also going away on the 23rd, ten days in the north of Scotland and the isle of Skye.......birding :king:

Is it a birding holiday you are going on, John.........anywhere nice?

I'm also going away on the 23rd, ten days in the north of Scotland and the isle of Skye.......birding :king:

No Steve dude hol to Gran canaria with the MRS but will take my bins.
You have a gud en mate, looks we are both going to miss that big one at the Mecca. But I will be back for the All - dayer.B :)John

Whoa! That's a storm to be avoided! good pic John.

Rob

Rob we never had more than a few seconds of rain, but it was torrential to the sw and through to Halesowen and Brum apparently. You could even see it raining over Bromsgrove. This is what happened last year during the drought, there is definitely a micro climate over upton.:t:
ps will email you and Phil re 'orange kite'

Here is a sample of the invertebrates found in the Flashes. The ripples in the water, that resemble rain drops are made by the larger items: water boatman I think

Attachments

• invertebrates at flashes aug 12.JPG
    invertebrates at flashes aug 12.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 96
Here is a sample of the invertebrates found in the Flashes. The ripples in the water, that resemble rain drops are made by the larger items: water boatman I think

Yes those look like water boatman. The green 'bits' are actually Daphnia - green because they're virtually transparent and have been feeding on algae. All good food for the birds.

Have a good holiday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back