• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Parakeet ID, UK (1 Viewer)

Tri-Counties Birder

AKA The Portland Naturalist
Today, what I presume is an escaped Parakeet flew over my house here in Surrey.

The question is, what is it? I know Ring-necked (Rose-ringed) will be immediately appering in everybodies minds. But I have reason to believe it wasn't one of those:

1.Ring-necked Parakeets have not quite reached my area yet and are fairly rare here(although I suppose any other Parakeet would be rare also).

2.From what colour I saw of it (it was mostly sillouetted), it looked much duller than the green of a Ring-necked (possibly grey-blue).

3.It was making a quiet rising whistle as it flew, nothing like the loud screech of a Ring-neck (please tell me if you know of Ring-necks making a sound like this).

The shape and size were otherwise right for Ring-neck. What could it be?

Sean

There is a grey form of ring-necked parakeet that is identical to the green type in every way other than colour.

I think ring-necked parakeets are spreading. There has been sightings in Bury (Elton Res) and also in Leeds. It would be interesting to know just how far they have spread - unless there are a number of escaped birds turning up all over the place.

Phantom Birder said:
could be a cockatiel
they get out of their cages quite often

PB

Just pipped me to it. One was seen near in Berks last month and isn't a million miles away...

Berksbirds said:
Just thought I'd post an interesting sighting from May 23rd. (sorry for the delay but my modem has crashed!)

I was standing next to the Loddon scanning Lea Farm Pit when I noticed a distant mobbing flock of corvids some 1/4 to 1/2 mile away, probably Lodge Road area. Through bins, they looked to be mobbing what at first glance resembled a cuckoo, but through a telescope, obviously wasn't. I presumed the bird to be an escape, possibly a cockatiel sp., but it was very distant. The only plumage details I could note was an obvious broad white bar on each upper wing in the greater covert area, otherwise the bird just looked dark greyish. It had sharp pointed wings like a cuckoo, but an extremely long, thin tail, certainly longer than cuckoo, possibly broader at the tip. The head did not appear to be large, but it was distant. The flight was extremely quick and quite acrobatic in its avoidance of the mob of corvids, which were giving it some grief. I watched it dive below the treeline and back up again several times before it disppeared completely. I would estimate its size to be similar to R N Parakeet.

Hi,
I would like to say: there is another parakeet in same genus the Alexandrine Parakeet, from India, I took photos of it last year around my house, I posted it in the Gallery, it also rare in our area, like Rose-ringed; but it bigger, have different voice, have red patch on the Shouldered and all red bill.
Have a look and compare here:
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81050/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81051/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/81049/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

Thanks!

Last edited:
I suppose I will just put it down as a Ring-necked then (unless anyone else has something to suggest).

Thanks guys.

Sean

P.S. it definitely was not a cockatiel.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back