• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to mount Pana GF-1 w/20mm 1.7 on Nikon ED82A (1 Viewer)

Steve Park

Hello, I am new on digiscoping. I need a lot of advice.

I have Nikon Fieldscope 82 ED(angled) with DS x30 eyepiece. I have been using Panasonic FS7 P&S with modified(by me) Nikon FSB-4 adapter. I am not quite happy with the result I get from the P&S, so I want to try something different.

I've heard and read GF-1 with 20mm pancake lens get quite good result, but I just don't know how to connect the camera/lens with scope!

I tried to search forums on this matter for detailed instruction, but no luck. Those instructions I found are for "seasoned experts", not for a newbie like me. It's quite frustrating that I am not able to follow the "how to's", but I believe everyone here began as a NEWBIE sometime ago.

Please direct me to appropriate web pages or threads where I get detailed info about how to mate these two together. I mean, I need everything, from A to Z. I need to know what I need to get, where to find the needed parts...etc.
Please help me out by posting here or by PM.

I really appreciate you experts' help in advance. :t:

Steve

What's the point? The effective focal length will be only 1200mm. Might as well buy a Nikon dslr and the FSA-L1 adapter and get 1500mm.

What's the point? The effective focal length will be only 1200mm. Might as well buy a Nikon dslr and the FSA-L1 adapter and get 1500mm.

RJM, you don't see what my point is?
Can you read?????? Are you an illiterate, blind or what? (please I don't mean no offense to others)

I am trying to utilize what I already have, not trying to spend tons of more money if I don't have to.

I clearly asked for help in how to mate the Panasonic GF-1/20mm combo to Nikon Fieldscope 82EDA(I feel real sorry for others to repeat this), I didn't asked for your arrogant opinion.

If you don't want to give me a helpful advice or you just don't like what I asked, move on, period! I don't need your stupid analysis. You think you know everything and I don't know nothing?
Wrong, my friend. You may know more on this digiscoping, but I know whole lot more on regular photography.

Please stay on subject, and if you don't like it, stay away. I don't need your analysis. No thanks!

Last edited:
...Can you read?????? Are you an illiterate, blind or what? (please I don't mean no offense to others)

I am trying to utilize what I already have, not trying to spend tons of more money if I don't have to.

If you don't want to give me a helpful advice or you just don't like what I asked, move on, period! I don't need your stupid analysis. You think you know everything and I don't know nothing? ... I don't need your analysis. No thanks!

I would have told you how if you had made in clear you already owned the GF1 w/20mm pancake, but now I'll just let you wallow in your own stupidty my friend.:-O

good luck!

I would have told you how if you had made in clear you already owned the GF1 w/20mm pancake, but now I'll just let you wallow in your own stupidty my friend.:-O

good luck!

Thanks but no thanks, RJM.
You no my friend. You're so arrogant, I don't keep knucklehead like you around me.

Yes, I am stupid, that's why I am asking for help. If you know enough to give helpful advice, please give me help I asked for. If you don't, just move on.

You sound like don't know a damm thing about digiscoping. I don't need your blessing, just stay away, got it?

GF-1 Mounting

Hey Steve, I am interested in the GF-1 also. Sorted it out from the other 4/3 and the Nex Train Wreck. It seems to suit my needs. I have mounted a lot of cameras, but am not familiar with the Nikon scope and mounts, but am willing to help you look into it in hopes of some information from you on the GF-1.

Of course the reason for using this camera is reduced weight and size. I am not a SLR person, hate the looks of them, and do not want to manual focus. My hands are not steady enough. No G1 please. The GF-1 is supposed to auto focus well.

OK, for starting: The positioning of the camera lens with respect to the eyepiece is most important. Focus the scope to infinity and hand hold the camera up to the eyepiece. Find, measure, and record the best positioning to avoid vignetting. I use Baader Hyperion eyepieces for digiscoping, which have a top thread and a good 20mm of eyerelief. I hope your eyepiece is OK.

For starters you will perhaps want to get a cheap $20 universal camera mount and then figure how to match up metric threads to fit your bracket. With the measurement you will know where to mount it. I can tell you where to buy adapter rings cheaply, for example.

People use a lot of bad mount ideas for cameras. Never mount on any moving part of a lens. You can pull it apart and/or cause bad focusing. I like a body mount around the lens with a tube, as used with my LX3 and Canon 590. It is accurate and secure. A universal mount can get out of adjustment, add weight, and even have dumb clamps to hold the camera. Not decided, but perhaps the ideal way to mount the GF-1 is a shallow precision machined grip around the stationary base of the lens. A supporting tube could have cut outs to reach the focus ring, if it is ever used... Let me know if you are still interested and I can dig up some more specific information. Gene
[email protected]

Last edited:
Steve,
There is some good advice on Nikon scopes here
http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/nikonbirding0909/nikonbirding0909.html

I connect the 20/1.7 on a G1/GF1 with a 46/43 mm adapter straight onto the Swarovski DCA adapter (43 mm thread ). But I have a straight scope so the AF motor is not working as hard as it would on an angled scope. It's quite easy to MF with the G1 or GF1 so you need to have a 52 mm thread on the eyepiece end to connect the 20/1.7 mm lens to. Or you could use some sort of Universal adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/491964-REG/Konus_1300__1300_Universal_Digiscoping_Adapter.html
I hope this is enough to get you started.
Neil.

I don't know the Nikon adapters so I can't give any advice there.

That would be on fixed f13 as you know Rick :smoke:

Good for videoscoping but difficult to get sharp pictures when I was shooting with this combo in the rain forest.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back