• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lack of birds in garden (July) (1 Viewer)

Hi all,

I've noticed in the last two weeks we've been getting less birds into the garden. I've spent the last 6-12 months really trying my best to encourage as many species as possible and May, April, June have been fantastic months for activity... we've had a group of Great Tits, Sparrows, Dunnocks visiting daily and I've been getting through the live mealworm rapidly.

This week just past I left a tub of mealworms in the bird cage and not a single one had been taken. Usually they last a matter of hours.

The Blackbirds are still visiting... but we're getting less than usual.

Any ideas what's going on?! I feel disappointed after having such progress!!

I am by no means an expert but I believe that a lot of birds start a moult, after the breeding season is over, and are not quite so active. Don't be put off as they will be back.

Well firstly, April, May and June are the breeding season months, and mealworms are a perfect food for chicks that are growing up, and by July, unless lots of birds have decided to have second broods, you are likely to see a drop in activity, as it is very usual anyway for feeding from stations to drop massively by April-May time, as oak leaf caterpillar come out and are a massive source of food for songbirds in spring-early summer, so there is no need to worry, they'll definitely come back in the autumn, so you may just have to wait until then....
Hope this helps ;-)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back