• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Almost Time to Go (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

All things being well, we expect to start south to Central Florida on Thursday. We have been forced to delay the trip twice already. We had planned to leave here on 1 Nov. but life got in the way. We will be there until the beginning of April. We winter in the Ocala National Forest. There is good birding there for waders, woodpeckers, some warblers and ducks. Red-shouldered Hawks are extremely common coots and moorhens by the hundreds. We always visit Silver Springs (Oklawaha River) to see Limpkin as well as the resident monkeys. Lake Woodruffe NWR will get several visits. There are manatee In Salt Springs Run (where we keep the boat) but in January will will go to Blue Springs State Park where there are usually 200 -300 manatee concentrated. Homosassas Springs State Wildlife Park is always a great spot to visit as well. Last year we added Kanapaha Botanical Gardens to the the "must visit list", lots of butterflies and even a snake. Merritt Island and the Canaveral national Seashores are great visit and I hope to get to each several times this year.
Every visit that we make, we try to find new wildlife locations to visit and if anyone can suggest anywhere in that part of Florida, I'd love to hear from them.
We haven't penetrated to South Florida yet although I'd love to. It's too far for just a day trip and overnight would be complicated for us but maybe this year.

Sounds great! I used to live in central Fl so I know most of those areas, though I wasn't technically a birder at the time so I can't say I know any hot spots.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back