• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which birdsong cd? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
I'm wanting to purchase a cd guide to british birdsongs,preferably with
some kind of commentry so I can listen to the disc from beginning to end on repeat mode without having to look up which track/bird i'm up to on the disc.

any suggestions?

matt

matt green said:
I'm wanting to purchase a cd guide to british birdsongs,preferably with
some kind of commentry so I can listen to the disc from beginning to end on repeat mode without having to look up which track/bird i'm up to on the disc.

any suggestions?

matt

Hi Matt,

I'd recommend the "British Bird Sounds on CD", compiled & edited by Ron Kettle and Richard Ranft of the National Sound Archive. Although the recordings are quite old and aren't in the same league as newer stereo recordings such as the Collins Bird Songs and Calls guide which has some beautiful recordings, each track is prefaced by the species. The Collins guide has a commentary but is a guide to species in a particular habitat and you can't easily go to a particular species and play it on repeat. I tend to use both with Paul Doherty's excellent DVD of Birds of Britain & Europe which fixes in my mind the call/song to an image (of the bird).

Hope this helps, Nev.

I also have the two c.d.s that Nev mentions (or three if you include the Paul Doherty d.v.d., which I don't think is great if it's the bird songs you want to concentrate on, although it's excellent for other things).

I prefer the Collins Bird Songs and Calls by Geoff Sample. I tend to have it on in the background while I'm doing other things and it's amazing how much I've managed to pick up using it. The National Sound Archive one is also very good, but I don't particularly enjoy listening to it from beginning to end, I tend to use this to hear a particular species.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back