• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird (1 Viewer)

LMG

I took this photo on holiday in Grenada W.I. but I don't know the name of this hummingbird. Can anyone help? I'd also like to identify the tree it's in. The bird made a hole in the flower, near the stalk, to get to the nectar - very clever. You can just make out the hole in the bottom flower in the photo!

Attachments

• humming.jpg
    humming.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
I would LOVE to help you out but... first the tail feathers are not visable enough to id gender.. and as it sits in the shade I have a problem seeing true colours and the bottom line we do not get this bird from the WI here in Canada.. it is most likely one that may migrate to Texas in the Corpus Christi area or maybe into Mexico.. but it is way too tropical for me to ascertain it's type.
Beautiful hummingbird though...
Good Luck on this one.. I do not even posses a book on Caribbean Birds...

LMG, I did not see this before. I also cannot help you with specific ID, but can tell you my thoughts based on what I see on my monitor (though you may have already thought them). I believe I would look at female hummers, given its drab appearance and lack of colors other than green and white. It also looks to be a larger hummer, if my bearings are straight about its surroundings. The only possibility in my North America bird book would be either the Rufous or the Ruby-throated, which it does not appear to be either. Gaye is right about the lighting being difficult, though. I think her idea of a Carribean bird book is good advice. If you ever find out, let us know!

Thank you for replying. It's a mysterious hummingbird, I can't identify it at all. It was a larger hummer and was brown in colour. I shall keep trying.

LMG,
I don't think your "hummer" is one in the North American fieldguide as the bill shape/size and the facial markings(or lack of) coupled with the under parts colouration does not match any that I can see. I will at some point check the "Handbook to the birds of the world" volume 5 as now I've seen the photo I'd like to find out what it is.

Cheers, Mark.

Arrgh, it's a gorgeous little thing, but doesn't look familiar to me. Almost definitely a female, due to lack of coloration on the throat, but if it's in the West Indies who knows. Possibly a species that summers in the Western part of the US or Canada? I hope you find out, either way!

According to Raffaele"s Birds of the West Indies, Princeton 1998, there are only four hummers known to Grenada: Purple throated Carib, Green throated Carib, Antillean Crested Hummingbird, and Rufous Breasted Hermit. Of course this does not rule out the odd vagrant.

The bill shape/size and body size suggest an immature Green throated Mango. However, since you mention brown colour it could have been a female or immature Rufous Breasted Hermit. The latter has a slightly more curved bill structure and "diagnostic" yellow lower mandible, according to Raffaele et al. The bird in the picture is certainly intriguing.

I have taken several long birding trips to JAMAICA. My Jamaican friend a lady who sells high quality handcrafts, saw some of these hummers in Grenada during last year's crafts fair. She's into birds and plants. She's gong to Grenada again in Sept!!! and I can't meet her there because I have to save vacation days and dough for another trip!!!!

Oh well......Kim E. datnoyd

This has to be an immature Green-throated Carib, one of only three regular hummers on Grenada. The others are rufous-breasted Hermit, which has a much longer and more curved bill, and Antillean Crested Hummingbird, which has a shorter and straighter bill, and was the only one that I saw in my one day of very enjoyable birding on the island a few years ago.

Whoops! I mean green throated carib not mango! there are no mangos on Grenada (except the eatin kind)

Peace out, Kim E. datnoyd

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back