• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sultana Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Linda Beaumont

Me again! (thanks to Ruth) o:D

We've been putting out soaked sultanas for our Blackbirds, Starlings and Wood Pigeons for many years now (and very well appreciated they are, too) :t:

Over the past 4 years or so, however, the SPARROWS have developed a taste for the sultanas as well - but only during the breeding season :h?:

And here's the proof - a very fuzzy photo, but clear evidence! Anybody else have the same experience with Sparrows and Sultanas? |8)|

Attachments

• Spadger with sultana.jpg
    Spadger with sultana.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 24
I put out Tesco dried fruit soaked overnight, Not sure which birds have it but it don't last long at any time of the year.
Jim

Yes, 'my' Sparrows like soaked sultanas too Linda, but they seem to go for them all year round here, & the Song Thrush absolutely adores 'em!
Well 'captured' by the way.

Hi Linda,
Same here, I put a mixture of food in the blender including, bread, cheese, suet pellets & sultanas. Any leftovers of cake etc is kept in a container near the blender. I do this approx twice a week, & put out a few ladles of food in 4 designated areas. The Birds gather as soon as they hear the patio door.
My House Sparrows are first in line!

I find chopping it up, especially the suet pellets & Sultanas, saves a fortune as the bigger Birds are less inclined to swoop down if they have to work a little harder at eating.

Great pic Linda

I wish I had House Sparrows to eat the sultanas I put out daily, Lynda! I haven't seen a Sparrow in my garden for months!:-C Never mind I have plenty of Dunnocks, Blackbirds etc to scoff the lot!:D

Hi Chanteuse,

Don't get that many Spagers here and they tend to go to the seed feeders rather than ground feed. Having said that, there is the occasional (it took me 3 tries to get that right) one that comes down but then it gets bullied aside by the bigger birds; and anyway I don't usually put out Sultanas as such, only in the scone crumbs.

Bill

So the UK Sparrows are just as canny as the Belgian ones, eh? ;)

Of course, Spadgers are known for their adaptability, and the sultana scoffing is just one more example. I seem to remember that, when peanut feeders were first put up (back in the 1950s???), they were intended solely for the Blue and Great Tits, but the Spadgers quickly learned the secret of how to cling and peck - and voilà! another string to their bow! :t:

Pie, many thanks for the tip about chopping up the sultanas in a blender - shall try it, as the Spadgers do sometimes have problems with hanging on to their sultanas - I suppose it's a bit like us trying to hold a watermelon between our teeth!!!|=\|

Spadgers??
You mean Spuggies don't you?

My sultanas are for the blackbirds who ask for them whenever they see me in the garden! I'm trying to get them to come to me for them, but I haven't got round to a proper sitting still session.

I haven't seen sparrows taking them yet.
I've noticed that thrushes are scared of blackbirds, so I wonder if the growing nmber of blackbirds is leading to the decline in song thrush.

Hi all! It's ages since I posted here, sorry.

My Sparrows take sultanas too but they tend to suck them dry and dump the actual sultana!! It's very hit and miss as to whether I can get the Tesco Value ones - online or in the stores.:C

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back