• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrows disappear (2 Viewers)

Peggy23

United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for accepting me into your forum, I don’t get many unusual birds in my garden just the sparrows & blackbirds & of course the wood pigeons. Recently my husband trimmed our neighbours clematis which was hanging over our fence on our side of the garden. The sparrows have lived in the clematis for 2 years or more & we have been feeding them & have become very tame….. but since the he trimmed the clematis the sparrows have disappeare. There was plenty of clematis left for the birds to roost in but I just wonder why they’ve left, it’s still is a very substantial hedge.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It is possible that the sparrows were disturbed by the activity.

Hi Peggy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's hard to be sure, but it's possible they've gone into the wider countryside to take advantage of the autumn feasts. There'll be plenty to eat for them there. If this is the case, they'll be back when the harder weather comes.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Peggy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's hard to be sure, but it's possible they've gone into the wider countryside to take advantage of the autumn feasts. There'll be plenty to eat for them there. If this is the case, they'll be back when the harder weather comes.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi, I do hope so, Thankyou very much for your reassuring reply.

Hi Peggy and welcome aboard.
I agree with Delia on this and once the weather gets colder and less insects to be found for the birds, if you put up a couple of bird feeders you will be swamped ;)

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

They can be very unpredictable often disappearing for long spells I.e days/ we3ks then turning up in numbers again. Much of this depends on the natural food available. Also they can be very picky over what type of cover they need and the Clematis might not be as dense as before. They are strange in that they of4en show really well on the feeders then retire into deep cover out of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back