• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Killiecrankie (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi there.
I hope to take a trip to Killiecrankie in a couple of weeks time. Does anyone know if pied flycatcher, redstart and wood warbler are still possible in this reserve?
Also, I plan to take the road from Pitlochry, past Ben Vrackie and Moulin to Dunkeld. I gave never taken this route before, does anyone know of any good birding stops along the way?
Thanks in advance for any advice given, Mark.

Hi Mark

Here's a link for the Opus article on Killiecrankie - hopefully your targets will still be there!

There's lots of places to pull in on the Moulin Moor - this bit is a newish plantation where I've seen lots of Stonechat. Anywhere from there you might pick up Short-eared Owl, Buzzards, Raven etc.

If you take this road by the Kindrogan Field Centre, you can get fairly close to the river... the road is a bit rough, so take your time. As far as I can remember there's no sign post, so you'll need to watch for it. The road re-emerges onto the main road at Enochdhu.

At Bridge of Cally you could drive up into the forest a little way, there's a small car park at a clearing, the track is immediately beside the hotel.

You could try a little back road signposted to Drimmie and Alyth (I think). Broad-leaved trees line the road and there are lots of fields and nice views (it goes near my patch). Loads of finches and Yellowhammers. The road comes out in Blairgowrie.

D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back