• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (4 Viewers)

Not absolutely sure that they are Spoons. I have asked the experts on Q+A. Maybe Storks or Cranes... ??

Edit: Cranes they are!

Last edited:
Maybe that is what you call it. Sort of a low chirping. Not like geese at all, softer and a little more "melodious". Could barely hear them they were so far away.

Manual mode, ISO 200, 1/200 second, f/6.4, anti-shock=0, triggered from my iPhone4s. I tried first with the electronic shutter... OK, no shutter-shock, BUT, there is a fair amount of light dispersion caused by reading directly from the sensor rather than letting it clear before the shutter releases. I had read about it and sure enough, it is not good. One drawback with the silent shutter.... too bad...
Here is a sample:
P1180864a.jpg
crop
P1180864b.jpg
Really noticeable around the edges, but also in loss of detail.

Looks like I am outta luck tonight...:-C

Last edited:
May be some other factors involved. Need further testing. Partly cloudy now, but clear in between the coluds and the moon should be pretty good still tonight. We'll see....

As I suspected, I spoke too soon! :smoke:

Had a moment between two cloud banks last night to fire off a few test series, and I see no difference between silent shutter and AS=0. Better to use silent if all else is equal.
Three samples, first with the E-M1 on the 90/600 + EC14 (6 shot stack):
24533947585_d5277e02ba_b.jpg
click for large

with the Canon TN (4 shot stack):
23906120084_de4f83935b_b.jpg
click for large

and here with the Canon 400/5.6 + 2x Extender III (2 shot stack):
24425847142_d37554ba3b_b.jpg
click for large

To me it is clear that the Oly TC beats the TN and that the Canon 400+2xTC is surprisingly good. Didn't expect that. To be fair, I did stop the Canon down one stop (f/13), which I can't do with the scope.

All stacked in Registax with the same wavelet settings of 0.10 denoise and 0.09 sharpening at 90%.

bearded ones

some more training shots with the 480 triplet

some bearded reedling (Panurus biarmicus) near home in a overcast day.

Attachments

• P1230771.jpg
    P1230771.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 120
  • P1230883.jpg
    P1230883.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 139
  • P1230888.jpg
    P1230888.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 149
  • P1230752.jpg
    P1230752.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 140
Very, very nice. Hard to pick a favorite, they are all great. You seem to be doing well with the new scope!

Thanks! It's not easy, the eyes do not help with the shallower dof :)

Soon time to cloth it with some protective camo and getting rid of the clamps, and adding a DIY tripod mount - one to help the balance (too heavy on the camera/focuser side) and loose some weight as well.

Have you flocked it, or is it well flocked already? Haven't have the nerv to pull it apart yet.

Carlos,
All four are very good. I have been waiting for a chance at those buggers for two years!;)
Only saw them once, and I didn't have time to get anything very good.

Carlos,
All four are very good. I have been waiting for a chance at those buggers for two years!;)
Only saw them once, and I didn't have time to get anything very good.

Thanks Daniel.

Saw them for the first time today at my "regular" spot. A little gang (around 10) they moved around a bit, but I manage to follow them around and got a few good shots. Most of the shots had reed straws in the wrong places :)

Thanks, Carlos.
Yeah, you are right. Sort of looks like a giant crab. I love the way you can see different features at different times. In a few days you won't see the man/crab at all.

Thanks! It's not easy, the eyes do not help with the shallower dof :)

Soon time to cloth it with some protective camo and getting rid of the clamps, and adding a DIY tripod mount - one to help the balance (too heavy on the camera/focuser side) and loose some weight as well.

Have you flocked it, or is it well flocked already? Haven't have the nerv to pull it apart yet.
Hi Carlos,
Just saw this post.
My TLAPO804 has a splittable tube so I have had the opportunity to inspect the tube when cleaning/wiping the lens free from dust and from what I could see the inside is painted with a matte black color that seems to have very little reflection. I did not bother about flocking the tube further. Maybe I should?

I would not dare to remove the lens assembly as it is air spaced, in opposite to the SW80 that can be removed without risk of breaking the collimation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back