• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What is butterfly/dragonfly season (Cheshire) (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
We had been getting lots of Red Admirals-then 1 day-gone, no more to be seen. We have seen just a few whites since but it got me thinking (not easy to do:-O )
Is there a definitive answer?
It must depend on various factors such as weather etc.
I'm thinking of Lancs/Cheshire rather than the south.

In the NE we've had pretty good numbers of both throughout the summer and even this weekend. Not as many around yesterday but still quite a few Speckled Wood with smaller numbers of Red Admiral. Migrant Hawker, Common Darter, Black Darter and Emerald Damselfly yesterday afternoon. All but the hawkers look wll worn.

Someone suggested 2nd October as cut off for Black Darter but I think the change in weather conditions to colder, wetter and windier today with no let up the rest of the week may have seen the end of them.

Late season Butterflies and Dragonflies can hang on until well into November if the weather is mild.

This past week I have seen several Small Tortoiseshells, Peacocks, Comma's and Red Admirals. Several Large, Small and Green-veined Whites have also been seen, Small Coppers are still about and I saw one Speckled Wood.

Dragonflies include Southern and Migrant Hawker, Common and Black Darters and Common Emerald Damselfly all seen in the Derwent Valley in North Durham, in the past three days.

I have several records of Black Darter being seen as late as the third week in October and Common Darters into mid-November.

Harry

Thanks for those replies. It was strange how the Red Admirals just seemed to disppear over-night. I think I will go out looking if we get a half decent day.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back