• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (49 Viewers)

Yesterday's Marsh Harrier is the earliest record for this species and the first for March. A record from the 31st March 2008 was unfortunately never submitted.

JTB advises that the / a Marsh Harrier was in the log-book at the Flashes today as well. Over to the Wednesday crew ..

Yesterday's Marsh Harrier is the earliest record for this species and the first for March. A record from the 31st March 2008 was unfortunately never submitted.

JTB advises that the / a Marsh Harrier was in the log-book at the Flashes today as well. Over to the Wednesday crew ..

Submitted? Surely Marsh Harrier isn't a description species?

Marsh Harrier

Thanks for linking those Phil - I was viewing via my mobile last night.

Kingfisherajh,

I would urge you to report this via the above links - it would provide very good info re the migration route of this bird - if it was seen at Upton Warren then it is around 200km west-south-west of its natal site.

Thanks Woodcat and Phil, I will report it.

More Marsh Harrier images from today!

Some slightly better ones captured today!

Attachments

• _A011855.jpg
    _A011855.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 167
  • _A011431.jpg
    _A011431.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 153
  • _A011828.jpg
    _A011828.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 154
  • _A011506.jpg
    _A011506.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 160
Today 8 of us tied up all the loose ends
1. The east boundary fence was shored up. We put a couple of new posts in placed and wired up a 100 section. After this, thorn cuttings and bramble was interwoven. This is to stop any local kid incursions and stop the grazing stock from getting out.
2. The previously cut reed piles in the section along the western side, were raked up and transported to the west hedge row.
From now on we will only be carrying out maintenance and urgent work on Tuesday's. We will still be meeting each Tuesday for birding and banter and hopefully some cake tasting.....Rob are you listening 8-P:eat:

Yeh, yeh! I'm listening! I can take a hint! :-O

Guess I've got too used to birding around York! Wonder how many people actually do descriptions for species like this? Seems a shame to loose records in this way!

Hi Tim - you've been spoilt!

Am currently pulling a big post together re bird recording which hopefully will be ready to put on the forum tonight.

Raptors are probably the area with the poorest success when it comes to the acceptance of reported birds by the County Recorder, both through non-submission and Not Proven verdicts. However, having liased with the County Recorder Steve Payne regarding the current year under consideration (2011) the submission rate is very high - may be 100% - and the acceptance rate across the board is very very good with a few key species still in circulation (incl Cirl Bunting, Common Rosefinch).

For info: This was on 'Birding Today' this morning:

"Female Marsh Harrier again at Upton Warren NR at the Flashes yesterday"

Kingfisherajh posted a nice series of photos yesterday evening (#17349); looks like it was between the second and third flashes

Some slightly better ones captured today!

Great images - just realised these were taken yesterday.

I must admit I had my doubts about the earlier 'presumed 2nd year male' id that was touted. Although there is undoubtedly much variation, I would've thought a 2nd summer male would've shown at least a vestage of a sub-terminal band in the tail and greater contrast in the primaries for instance.

I must admit I had my doubts about the earlier 'presumed 2nd year male' id that was touted. Although there is undoubtedly much variation, I would've thought a 2nd summer male would've shown at least a vestage of a sub-terminal band in the tail and greater contrast in the primaries for instance.

Being such a distinguished looking bird, it might be able to trace its movements, even if the green tag wasn't noticed.

Just shows the value of a set of quality imaged, picking up features that birders with bins may struggle to get.

How many times do we have to see that photo? 8-P I am seriously starting to worry about about Peter; getting rather close to Vern and then asking Paul to take him up Sarehole (glad I didnt mistype that ..)

I agree, Phil: we've all seen that picture too many times.

You should know that what happens in Sarehole stays at Sarehole. There may come a time when Paul and I can be more open about what goes on there, but only to selected discreet individuals. It won't be material for one of your celebrated bar-charts.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back