• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inquiry after red kite chick shot (BBC News) (1 Viewer)

Very sad news, let us all hope this is a one off, although that said one is to many. The Red Kite is indeed a wonderful bird to see, lets just hope they can flourish again in the beautiful country that is Ireland.

ROD, a great admirer of the RED KITE.

Very sad. On a recent trip to UK managed to see ten of these beautiful birds between Stokenchurch and Princess Risborough without any effort and we were [ unfortunately ] not on a birding trip.

It´s more than sad. I live in Co. Wicklow, the 30 kites kindly donated by the Welsh Red Kite Trust were released 30 km south of where I live. Some friends have seen them already. There is an outcry, from Government, Farming, Shooting and Community organisations (it´s reported on the front page of this week´s "Wicklow Times", with a colour photo of the dead kite, electronic tags and all). I´m not sure an outcry has any effect at all on the kind of barbarians with shotguns roaming the countryside. It seems shooting half-tame, hand-reared pheasant, and docile overstuffed woodpigeons, isn´t enough of a challenge to them. One down, twenty-nine to go. Once again, it´s an embarrassment to be Irish - we can´t help disgracing ourselves whenever we get the opportunity. (I don´t fancy the chances for the White-Tailed Eagles released some months ago in Kerry....interestingly, no-one seems to know where they´ve disappeared to..... ). I´d recommend that the Welsh Red Kite Trust don´t send any more kites over here, keep them in the UK where they´re safe, what´s the point in sending them over here where the attitude to wildlife belongs in the Dark Ages. Right, that´s my rant over, but if you could see the photo of the dead kite, you´d understand.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back