• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Veagle's 2012 List (2 Viewers)

Yesterday, I went to Sevey Lake, and got a few new birds. Today, I took a drive after work to Hammerquist Rd. A couple of new year birds:

May 3 - Meade County, SD

173. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
174. Clay-colored Sparrow

May 4 - Pennington County, SD
175. Brown Thrasher
176. Eastern Kingbird

Last edited:
Went into the Black Hills yesterday with Lynn Barber and Jocie Baker. Lynn is doing a state big year, and we were looking for Northern Goshawk and Pacific Wren. Unsucessful on that mark, but it was a really good day, nonetheless. Highlights were a good look at a Black-backed Woodpecker, a new county bird, several first of year sparrows, and a new South Dakota bird for me, the Black-and-white Warbler.

May 5 - Pennington County

177. Lark Sparrow
178. Eastern Bluebird
179. Gray Jay
180. Common Yellowthroat

May 5 - Lawrence County, SD

181. Lincoln's Sparrow
182. Red-naped Sapsucker

May 5 - Meade County, SD

183. Black-and-white Warbler
184. Field Sparrow

Last edited:
A beautiful afternoon at Sevey Lake, an unusal time for me. Surprisingly, a really nice mix of shorebirds, including 42 Long-billed Dowitchers, numerous Willets, Lesser-Yellowlegs, Least, Semipalmated and Spotted Sandpipers. Also a number of Western Grebes, and got a nice close-up look at the pair of Cinnamon Teals.

May 6 - Sevey Lake, SD

185. Spotted Sandpiper
186. Semipalmated Sandpiper

Last edited:
Yesterday morning, I found a first of year Yellow Warbler in my yard. Then after work, I birded Hammerquist Rd. Highlights included 4 more Yellow Warblers, Great Horned Owl, Least Flycatcher, Western Kingbird, Common Yellowthroat, and Say's Phoebe.

This morning at Sevey Lake, a good selection of shorbirds and a flock of Lark Buntings.

May 8 - Pennington County, SD

187. Yellow Warbler
188. Western Kingbird
189. Least Flycatcher
190. Say's Phoebe

May 9 - Sevey Lake, SD

191. Lark Bunting

On Saturday, I participated in the West River Migration Watch, and drove a route in the Black Hills National Forest of about 100 miles, most of which I had never seen before. The numbers of birds weren't overwhelming, but had a few highlights, including my first Red Crossbill this year in South Dakota, a Common Loon, that I first got very excited thinking it might have been a Yellow-billed, several Townsend's Solitaires, a couple of Eastern Bluebirds and numerous Mountain Bluebirds, and 3 Pygmy Nuthatches.

May 12 - Black Hills National Forest, SD

192. Pygmy Nuthatch

Before work this morning, I took a drive eastward to see if I could locate two birds that had been found recently - Northern Mockingbird, and Brewer's Sparrow; both good birds for this part of the state. Struck out on both, but the nice morning was salvaged by some nice birds along Antelope Creek Rd., including a good variety of sparrows, some Upland and Spotted Sandpipers, and a first of year Bobolink.

May 17 - Pennington County, SD

193. Grasshopper Sparrow
194. Bobolink
195. Black Tern

After work, I went out to Sevey Lake. A nice evening. The Bobolinks have returned, and both Kingbirds (Eastern and Western). There was an enormous group of Stilt Sandpiper, and several Red-necked Phalaropes among the numerous Wilson's Phalaropes. And several Black Terns.

May 17 - Sevey Lake, SD

196. Stilt Sandpiper
197. Red-necked Phalarope

Yesterday, I left Rapid City for Pickstown, SD in the southeastern part of the state, to spend the weekend at the SD Bird Festival. I stopped along the way to try to find a Baltimore Oriole for Pennington County. No luck, but I did see Orchard Oriole, and a slew of Cliff Swallows, and later a couple of Red Headed Woopeckers. Last night after dark, we went to a field where we could hear numerous Eastern Whip-poor-wills, a lifer for me.

May 18 - Pennington County, SD

198. Orchard Oriole
199. Cliff Swallow

May 18 - Brule County, SD

200. Red-headed Woodpecker

May 18 - Pickstown, SD

201. Eastern Whip-poor-will

Last edited:
A very nice day at the SD Bird Festival. The weather wasn't great - a little too windy, but hey, this is South Dakota. Lots of new year birds, and a new State Bird - Clark's Grebe! Also got a good look at a banding operation, seeing the following species banded: Least Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Warbling Vireo, Bell's Vireo, Gray Catbird, and Spotted Towhee.

After dinner, three of us parked in front of an old grain elevator, and waited for dark, when we saw a large Barn Owl take flight. Nice way to finish the day.

May 19 - Lake Andes National Wildlife Refuge.

202. Chimney Swift
203. Baltimore Oriole
204. Lazuli Bunting
205. Green Heron
206. Willow Flycatcher
207. Warbling Vireo
208. Ovenbird
209. Gray Catbird
210. Blackpoll Warbler
211. Bell's Vireo
212. Black-bellied Plover
213. White-rumped Sandpiper
214. Semipalmated Plover
215. Clark's Grebe
216. White-faced Ibis
217. Dickcissel
218. Barn Owl

The second day of the SD Bird Festival was a good day. Started out cool, windy, and cloudy, and then warmed up, with the wind calming a bit. I started out early with a small group trying to find Northern Bobwhite, with no luck. Then we met up with a larger group, and with this group of about 25, we had access to the Karl Mundt NWR, which is normally closed to the public. We hiked over the course of several hours through land that was reclaimed over a long period of time from the river, after the Pickstown Dam was built. Highlights included large numbers of Eastern Bluebird, Red-headed Woodpeckers, and Great Crested Flycatchers in the Cottonwoods, a very friendly Eastern Wood-Pewee, that flew directly at our group and perched close-up, nesting Bald Eagles that are abundant in this area, and a wonderful Scarlet Tanager.

Later, I stopped in several locations along the long drive home, and first located a good-sized group of Bank Swallows, and later got a nice variety of shorebirds, and waterfowl, finishing up with my first South Dakota Snow Goose of the year.

May 20 - Fort Randall Dam Tailrace, SD

219. Great Egret
220. Bonaparte's Gull

May 21 - Karl Mundt NWR, Gregory County, SD

221. Great Crested Flycather
222. House Wren
223. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
224. Eastern Wood-Pewee
225. Scarlet Tanager
226. Red-Eyed Vireo
227. Red-bellied Woodpecker

It rained most of the day today, but I got off a little early and went out to Hammerquist Rd. Nice group of birds. Got a good look at two Common Nighthawks perched in a tree,
some nice bright Bullock's Orioles, and called in a Yellow-breasted Chat for a good look. Some nice Orchard Orioles, as well, along with plentiful Eastern and Western Kingbirds.

May 25 - Pennington County, SD

228. Bullock's Oriole
229. Swainson's Thrush
230. Yellow-breasted Chat

Early this morning, I took a drive to Sevey Lake. It was somewhat foggy; we've had a lot of rain in the last few days. Saw another Bullock's Oriole along 143rd St, along with a pair of Gray Partridge. Sevey's was good; the Red-necked Phalaropes continue, along with large numbers of Stilt Sandpipers, and a small number of Peeps, which looked to include Least, Baird's, and Semipalmated, as well as Pectoral, Spotted Sandpipers, and a single Long-billed Dowitcher. But the highlight was an adult Black-crowned Night-Heron, along with two adolescents, the first time I've ever seen them at Sevey's.

May 26, Meade County, SD

231. Black-crowned Night-Heron

Karen and I went out this morning to the area east of the Rapid City Airport. Some good birds, and although I won't claim it, I am pretty sure I heard a Black-billed Cuckoo.

May 28 - Pennington County, SD

232. Western Wood-Pewee
233. Black-headed Grosbeak

Last evening after work, I took a visiting birder to the area around to two of my favorite areas - Hammerquist Rd., and Sevey Lake. At Hammerquist Rd., highlights included finding all three orioles, including my first Baltimore for this county, Yellow-breasted Chat, Indigo Bunting, Western Wood-Pewee, Brown Thrasher, and Bell's Vireo. At Sevey Lake we re-found the White-faced Ibis, viewed 7 Red-necked Phalaropes, and saw well over 100 gulls, more than I have ever seen there, including nesting California's.

May 31 - Hammerquist Rd, Pennington County, SD

234. Indigo Bunting

On my way to the Spring Meeting of the SD Ornithological Union, I made a brief stop in Hot Springs to see White-throated Swift, then before the meeting started went out to the Sage and found a new State bird:

June 1 - Fall River County, SD

235. White-throated Swift
236. Sage Thrasher

The first morning of the SDOU meeting was spent hunting for some of the sage specialties in this area. We found quite a few Brewer's Sparrows, and oodles of Lark Buntings, but it appeared that we were early for Cassin's Sparrows, the biggest target. Other birds found were Chestnut Collared Longspur, Burrowing Owl, and Long-billed Curlew.

June 2 - Fall River County, SD

237. Brewer's Sparrow

Sunday morning, several of us broke early and headed up to Roby and Hell Canyons, west of Custer, SD. A beautiful day, and a real treat, as numerous birds are most reliably found in these two canyons. In Roby Canyon the primary target was Virginia's Warblers, found only here in South Dakota. After some searching, we found several, and other highlights here were Dusky and Cordilleran Flycatcher, Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher, Rock Wren, and Yellow-breasted Chat.

The highlights at Hell Canyon started with running into Ricky Olsen, who showed us the nest of a Broad-tailed Hummingbird, the third year, it has been occupied. Other good birds included MacGillivray's Warbler, Plumbeous Vireo, great looks at a very close Black-backed Woodpecker, and just as we were getting into our cars, good looks at Red-Headed and Lewis's Woodpeckers. Oh, almost forgot, numerous Western Tanagers! Great day.

June 3 - Roby and Hell Canyons, Custer County, SD

238. Rock Wren
239. Dusky Flycatcher
240. Virginia's Warbler
241. Cordilleran Flycatcher
242. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
243. McGillivray's Warbler
244. Broad-tailed Hummingbird
245. Plumbeous Vireo
246. Western Tanager ;)

This morning, before work, I briefly birded Hammerquist Rd. Found a beautiful pair (possibly 2 pair) of Blue Grosbeaks. Other highlights included a pair of Swainson's Hawks, a pair of Brown Thashers, a couple of House Wrens, and a Bell's Vireo.

June 6 - Hammerquist Rd., Pennington County

247. Blue Grosbeak

I again visited Hammerquist Rd., this time after work. Had a Bell's Vireo, a pair of Great Crested Flycatchers, and a great look at a Black-billed Cuckoo, that I first heard, then responded directly to my call, and sat on an exposed limb for several minutes while I drank in the views.

June 8 - Hammerquist Rd., Pennington County, SD

248. Black-billed Cuckoo

Big day today. Early morning birding at Hammerquist - got a lot of the local favorites, including Black-billed Cuckoo, Blue Grosbeak, Indigo Bunting, Yellow Breasted Chat, Bell's Vireo, Bullock Oriole, Dickcissel, and one new bird for the year.

In a little over an hour, we head out for a two-week trip to France. Although not primarily for birding, we will spend a day and a half in the Camargue, and since this is our first trip to Europe since I took up birding in 2008, I'll be on the lookout for all the regular birds, which will mostly be lifers for me. Great birding, food, and wine. Can't wait.

June 17 - Hammerquist Rd., Pennington County

249. American Redstart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back