• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots and lots of birds... (1 Viewer)

Wendy Morris

The skies around home have been filled with large numbers of birds today. From late morning and all through the afternoon I watched flocks of Rooks, Jackdaws and Gulls (probably GBBs), mostly at a distance and very mobile. I guess that someone, somewhere was ploughing and attracting them.

More interestingly, I think, was the sight of at least a dozen Buzzards at a time. As usual, they too were very mobile and catching a picture was all but impossible. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly they soar and disappear from view, or glide effortlessly sideways and disappear that way.

A pleasant way to spend a very cold afternoon!

Attachments

• Buzzard..jpg
    Buzzard..jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 12
Hi Wendy,

If someone was ploughing around your way it must have been a lot less cold than here; it started off very crisp underfoot and although the sun shone a bit the temperature never staggered much above freezing, jusne enough to clear the rime off my cleared grass patches.

So I evny you your flying display, I've only seen 2 Buzzards this year so far and one of them led my car up a country Lane a few days ago before veering off and being attacked by the local Rooks. Did see 3 flights of Wood Pigeons this morning but that's the usual daily 'food migration', otherwise I've almost forgotten what Gulls look like!

Bill

That was a pleasent way to spend an afternoon, Wendy. Nice photo, they can move quickly.
Once on Dartmoor while horse riding with my friend, one Autumn, we counted 42, yes, 42 Buzzards, all together in one spot, gliding, soaring & some were pretending they were Kestrels. It was an amazing sight. We rode right passed them & they didn't disperse. We decided the parents had brought their young to find prospective partners.o:D

Yes, Bill...we are snow free here and the temp has been up at +5C this afternoon. Parts of Dorset got several inches of snow yesterday, but not a flake here.

We often see many Buzzards on the hills around here, but the last time that I saw so many from home was at the height of summer a couple of years back when there were an estimated 15+ at any one time for about 2 hours. They were further away, but very slow moving, simply using the thermals to glide.

What a lovely and interesting way to spend the afternoon, Wendy. Lovely clear photo too.

What a lovely afternoon Wendy; and as with Bill, I too am envious of your flying display. It must have been good to watch. You did well to get the pic, having described their quick movements.

Baz.

I canr remember seeing 15 kestrels all hovering over a short length of a sunny fellside in cumbria.I guess it was a kestrel school out to teach the young ones to catch grasshoppers.I suppose a large class helps them to learn much quicker from each other.

maurice. An apprenticeship?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back