• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for those who have the NL Pure 8x42 (1 Viewer)

Hi,

So I just received my sample and I noticed that there is somewhat a ghosting/flare when viewed with a light source that is either perpendicular or parallel to one's view. It is most apparent to the lower field of view, like towards one's nose. Sorry if I am describing this poorly.

I tried my cousin's EL 8x32 and viewing from the same circumstances, it is not present. Do you think I got a lemon?

No, the NL does show a little glare in the lower FOV when directed towards the sun or a bright light source. I had the EL 8x32 though and overall I found it to show much more glare in more situations than the NL. I feel there is some glare in the NL 8x42 and the EL 8x32 but both are tolerable and manageable with proper eye placement, setting your IPD properly and having your eye cups out to the best position for you. I think it is the price you pay for the other benefits of the NL and the EL and it is an optical trade off.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back