• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

sparrowhawk/goshawk help please (Norfolk, England) (1 Viewer)

Mike in Cumbria

Not my photo, but some help with this id would be great, with reasons.

Norfolk, earlier this year. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• id accipiter.jpg
    id accipiter.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 353
Looks like the most Goshawk looking Sparrowhawk I've ever seen.. Spindly legs and the toes look too long for a Gos..

Last edited:
I would say Sparrowhawk.
Goshawks weigh in much bigger thn sparrowhawks, and look more like a sparrowhawk on steroids to me. This looks thinner, and the legs in particular look thinner than I would expect on a goshawk.
Its certainly atypical in appearance though (but many sparrowhawks are)

Agree with Peter. If the supercilium looks unusually prominent I think that's mainly because the image is too contrasty and a bit over-exposed.
Brian

It could well be a photoshop problem in order to get more detail.. The eyes are very pale and lack the usual colour. Probably accounts for the lack of colour in the body too...

Agree with Peter and Brian... nothing unusual about this adult female Sparrowhawk, and I see Sparrowhawks at close range almost daily.

Only thing that is unusual are the colours and exposure of the photograph.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back