• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Gashead

Hi, I’m looking for somewhere with a hummer flash set up in position. Also any info on local guides or specifically a photo guide, we are touring mostly the north and Pacific coast in March 2020.

Thanks.

Hi Gashead
You might try Tropical Feathers http://www.costaricabirdingtours.com they are a local Costa Rican owned company and Noel the proprietor is a top notch photographer.
Besides the birding tours they specialize in bird photography tours as well. All the shots on their website were taken by Noel.

I'm not sure he actually has a flash driven hummingbird feeder set up but he can take you to where you can set one up. He knows where the birds are and where they will be and has an uncanny knack for being in the right place at the right time.

I hired him more than ten years ago for exactly the same reasons you've outlined and we've since became friends.
In the interests of full disclosure we are writing several bird field guides together which is a separate entity from his guiding business. I receive no compensation from his guiding business, I just know him to be an enthusiastic, fastidious professional, hence the pitch.
Cheers,
Bryan

What’s a Hummer flash? Sounds like a lure of sorts - please enlighten me:t:

Laurie -
I'll let Gashead answer that. I could be wrong but I took it to mean a set of flashes on mounts and tripods synced up to trigger on depressing the camera shutter. I've seen them mounted around hummingbird feeders usually with a plain or black backdrop.

The most effort I've ever put in was to have a single flash mounted on camera with a “Better Beamer diffuser” wrapped around the flash head. More compact then lugging around a swarm of flashes.
The only lure for the hummingbirds is the enticement of the feeder, that or fame.
Perhaps Gashead can enlighten us.
Cheers,
Bryan

Gashead

I take you would be providing your own gear? I can't say I've heard of any tour company providing the equipment. They may exist but its outside my knowledge.
They will all most likely be willing to set up a location where you can proceed to rig up what you need as part of the package.

Cheers,
Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back