• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding guides for Costa Rica? (1 Viewer)

ryan.green

United States
Hi everyone, I'm extending a family vacation to do some solo birding in Costa Rica in early January. I was wondering if anyone has birded with a local guide they'd recommend.

Best,
Ryan

I have found that overall it is best to arrange where one is staying or visiting for a local guide. A guide familiar with the northern areas is not going to be knowledgeable about the central or southern or eastern regions. I have hired local guides for Manual Antonio and for Monteverde biological reserve and for Savagre. Being in one area 365 days of the year they have a much better idea of where to find the local fauna.

I have found that overall it is best to arrange where one is staying or visiting for a local guide. A guide familiar with the northern areas is not going to be knowledgeable about the central or southern or eastern regions. I have hired local guides for Manual Antonio and for Monteverde biological reserve and for Savagre. Being in one area 365 days of the year they have a much better idea of where to find the local fauna.
Thank you, Elkhornsun. That may be what I end up doing.

Hi everyone, I'm extending a family vacation to do some solo birding in Costa Rica in early January. I was wondering if anyone has birded with a local guide they'd recommend.

Best,
Ryan
Where will you be staying? Beto Guido in the Monteverde area is excellent. Speaks very good english too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back