• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TSN 883 Impressions (1 Viewer)

andyF

I've now had my Kowa for about a month and have used it some 5-6 times in the field (birding from hides) and here are my impressions. Overall an excellent scope that often shows sublime images but is not without some issues.

This scope seems to work best in medium to low light. I've found that on bright days the image can at times appear to be slightly washed out and lacking in contrast. Almost as if there is too much light! This doesn't appear to be consistent though as often the image is excellent in sunlight. I suppose it might depend on where the sun actually is in relation to what I'm viewing. Furthermore, the scope seems a little susceptible to what I call atmospherics. It's like at times you can't get quite the focus you want. The image appears to slip into then slightly out of focus. I call this atmospherics because the air seems to be playing a part in the focus. It's a bright day and I expect a bright, contrasty image, but what I sometimes get is this slightly ill defined and slightly shifting image.

Finally, I find viewing things on little islands or scapes in water can be at times slightly frustrating. Because of the wide field of view, when you get focus on something in the centre of the scope, the top part of the lens and bottom part will not be focused as the objects in those parts of the lens are further back or nearer to you. As an example, I was looking at a large flock of gulls the other day on a little island and the centre gulls were nicely in focus but the ones above and below it were not. The resultant image was slightly odd! I suppose the problem here is looking at things with a wide angle which allows more things into view at different depths. Something I will just have to get used too.

What are other peoples' impressions of this scope? Do they find similar issues as me or have I just not explained myself very well? Thanks for any responses.

You just identified external variables that limit the effectiveness of any scope, regardless of quality.

I've now had my Kowa for about a month and have used it some 5-6 times in the field (birding from hides) and here are my impressions. Overall an excellent scope that often shows sublime images but is not without some issues.

This scope seems to work best in medium to low light. I've found that on bright days the image can at times appear to be slightly washed out and lacking in contrast. Almost as if there is too much light! This doesn't appear to be consistent though as often the image is excellent in sunlight. I suppose it might depend on where the sun actually is in relation to what I'm viewing. Furthermore, the scope seems a little susceptible to what I call atmospherics. It's like at times you can't get quite the focus you want. The image appears to slip into then slightly out of focus. I call this atmospherics because the air seems to be playing a part in the focus. It's a bright day and I expect a bright, contrasty image, but what I sometimes get is this slightly ill defined and slightly shifting image.

Finally, I find viewing things on little islands or scapes in water can be at times slightly frustrating. Because of the wide field of view, when you get focus on something in the centre of the scope, the top part of the lens and bottom part will not be focused as the objects in those parts of the lens are further back or nearer to you. As an example, I was looking at a large flock of gulls the other day on a little island and the centre gulls were nicely in focus but the ones above and below it were not. The resultant image was slightly odd! I suppose the problem here is looking at things with a wide angle which allows more things into view at different depths. Something I will just have to get used too.

What are other peoples' impressions of this scope? Do they find similar issues as me or have I just not explained myself very well? Thanks for any responses.

You just identified external variables that limit the effectiveness of any scope, regardless of quality.

Indeed seeing and perspective can't be changed. The washed out view is probably due to suboptimal internal blackening which leads to stray light. A lens hood might help - fashioned from some cereal box cardboard and duct tape in a pinch.

Joachim

I used the Kowa scope of a friend and I have to admit that it trumped my Nikon in all aspects - clarity, zoom, ease of use etc.! Great scope...

Indeed seeing and perspective can't be changed. The washed out view is probably due to suboptimal internal blackening which leads to stray light. A lens hood might help - fashioned from some cereal box cardboard and duct tape in a pinch.

Joachim
The washed out view is due to excessive brightness. I see this all the time on very bright days when sunglasses barely get their job done. The 883 has an excellent lens hood.

The washed out view is due to excessive brightness. I see this all the time on very bright days when sunglasses barely get their job done. The 883 has an excellent lens hood.

Good point. Didn't use the lens hood so will definitely try next time!

Good point. Didn't use the lens hood so will definitely try next time!
The lens hood will not solve the problem of heat shimmer. As magnification increases whatever heat shimmer exists will further degrade the image. There is no solution other than reducing magnification.

I don't have any problems with stray light in the Kowa but then I always use the lens hood.

I've learned that atmospherics cannot be overcome with a standard binocular or spotting scope. Sometimes the image is stunning while at other times it's just plain dull.

It's been mentioned before,

http://www.surfbirds.com/forum/showthread.php?8389-review-questions-about-Kowa-TSN-883

I had a Kowa 883 for nearly a month, it's a great scope, no doubt about that. I do think it's overrated though.
I had tried a few scopes at home and looked through some at in focus, inc the Swarovski 95mm. I had a Pentax PF80ed side by side with a Kowa TSN884 for a week and ended up buying the Pentax. To my eyes there was very little difference and I tried as hard as I could to find one because I wanted the Kowa. Couldn't justify the price difference though. The Kowa has the street cred, and it is a lovely scope. I also used the Kowa at my local nature reserve and I also noticed the washed out look in bright light. Maybe it's just too good.

I used the Kowa scope of a friend and I have to admit that it trumped my Nikon in all aspects - clarity, zoom, ease of use etc.! Great scope...

Hi Rosbifs
my personal experience of the Nikon Fieldscope ED82 vs a Kowa TSN884 is a bit different from yours
Since 2014, for 35+ days each year, I use the Fieldscope ED82 (bought used, even heavily, but optically perfect; maybe an early production) during the surveys of raptor migration with the 30x DS eyepiece (also own the 30xMC that came with the scope) and every day I have the opportunity to compare it to a brand new Kowa TSN 884 + 30x WF of a friend of mine who bought in spring 2015.
Sure, the Kowa is a truly excellent scope, and brighter than my Nikon but in terms of resolution and absence of aberrations the differences are not so noticeable, indeed!
Colours appear to be more vivid in the Kowa but consider also the fact that my secondhand specimen is probably 10-12 years old and seems (do not know the treatment conditions of the previous owner-s) to feature a slight yellowish cast compared to the coldish colour rendition of the new Kowa.
The dual system focusing in the Kowa is fine, the Nikon does not feature that being an older design and I am used to its collar ring.
And lastly I have paid 600 euros for the ED82 + 30MC + skua case, this friend of mine for a new similar equipment of Kowa far exceeded 2000 euros.
Perhaps an individual difference in specimen quality (an excellent one in the Nikon, an average to good in my friend' Kowa) can make a difference but I wouldn't currently change my Fieldscope ED82 over a Kowa TSN 883-4.

I absolutely love the Kowa 883. I cannot find a cleaner, crisper image and I keep looking. The real magic for me is the fine focus. My old Nikon ED82A focus was a real pain, especially with the case on. Many of the Swaro scopes are smoother than my Nikon but the lack of a fine focus is, for me, a deal breaker. The Kowa dual focus is pure magic, something I truly appreciate as my eyes age.

Since the kowa 25-60 zoom is smooth as silk, it's a breeze to zoom in/out and then fine focus on moving birds...something I find essential to my viewing pleasure. This type of operation is simply impossible with my Nikon.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back