• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Field Pro 8x32 worth £350 more than the previous model? (1 Viewer)

I tried the new EL SV 8x32 mk III at the Paris photo show last week (I own a mk II 8x32), I notice some improvement in edge distortion (the only slight flaw in the old model), circles become ovals with the Mk II, less so with the Field Pro. Apart from that, optically they are identical.

I don't understand the critics about veiling glare which IMO are MUCH exagerated, just like the supposed rolling ball effect which comes straight from the imagination of people looking for recognition and desperate to make themselves noticed, or keen on drinking whisky before observing.

To answer the question of the original poster, get a discounted MkII if you can find one.

Last edited:
I don't understand the critics about veiling glare which IMO are MUCH exagerated, just like the supposed rolling ball effect which comes straight from the imagination of people looking for recognition and desperate to make themselves noticed, or keen on drinking whisky before observing.

Insulting the validity of opinions expressed by forum members, who have expressed those opinions based on ownership and long term use of a selected binocular will not win you many fans on these pages.

I tried the new EL SV 8x32 mk III at the Paris photo show last week (I own a mk II 8x32), I notice some improvement in edge distortion (the only slight flaw in the old model), circles become ovals with the Mk II, less so with the Field Pro. Apart from that, optically they are identical.

To answer the question of the original poster, get a discounted MkII if you can find one.

Long-time owners and champions of the 8x32 SV have sold them, in part due to glare. I'm sure the experience will vary among users but I would not discount them all as untruths, especially when someone as esteemed as Henry Link has documented the problem well.

Let me guess - your first name is Dennis?

Hermann

I just returned from an elk hunt in Montana. The magpies were all over this year. I haven't found, the veiling glare issue others complain on with their SV 8x32's to be much of an issue. It only shows itself in the right conditions. I usually carry SV 8x32's when hunting and in my experience you pretty much have to be viewing pretty close to the rising sun or a bright light for it to happen.

I just returned from an elk hunt in Montana. The magpies were all over this year. I haven't found, the veiling glare issue others complain on with their SV 8x32's to be much of an issue. It only shows itself in the right conditions. I usually carry SV 8x32's when hunting and in my experience you pretty much have to be viewing pretty close to the rising sun or a bright light for it to happen.

I agree. My two year hicking and outdoor experience with the SV 8x32 has led me to the same conclusion, I have made observations in very harsh daylight at 8,000 feet and even there I could not fault this binocular. You really have to try hard to make any veiling glare to appear.

It's a fantastic piece of equipment.

To each his own, and I'm a huge Swaro fan, but the glare was bad enough for my eyes I returned them. I don't see RB, but I sure saw glare issues in my 8x32SV.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back