• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Canada (1 Viewer)

colincurry

England
My son and his family are currently on holiday in Canada and he has sent some snaps probably from his phone. It looks as though he is between the foot of the Columbia ice field and Lake Louise. One of the snaps is of some birds at a picnic site with the caption 'Identify please'.

I think those towards the rear may be Ringed Turtledoves and those at the front some form of Blackbird.

Any help would be appreciated please.

IMG-20170810-WA0001.jpg

Thanks

Colin

Brewer's Blackbird in the foreground; not sure about the birds behind as they're a bit blurred, but best guess Brown-headed Cowbird.

Can we talk about your turtledoves? I can see how you can come up with that, but these would be rare in North America unless it is an escapee from a pet store...which seems strange for the area. Also, blackbirds in a flock are most likely going to scare off any dove; particularly when feeding. If you ignore the dark neck band, I would have put the shape and colour as a juv black bird (or cowbird). I don't know enough to know whether a juvenile will go to adult colours a this stage of the game or not. and if the mark could be a juv cowbird going to mature colouring.....just a guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back