• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help Identify Vintage Bonoculars (1 Viewer)

The J-B number indicates final manufacture by Warabi Kokisha. Metalwork by Toei Kokagu. It remains to be seen who the brand on the binocular is. Then as now, a company could contract with one of the numerous Japanese manufacturers and have a specific brand name put on a binocular. There are quite a few different names branded to quite similar looking binoculars in all magnifications and objective classes from binoculars of that era.

See this link for information

http://www.europa.com/~telscope/jbcode.txt

Last edited:
The J-B number indicates final manufacture by Warabi Kokisha. Metalwork by Toei Kokagu. It remains to be seen who the brand on the binocular is. Then as now, a company could contract with one of the numerous Japanese manufacturers and have a specific brand name put on a binocular. There are quite a few different names branded to quite similar looking binoculars in all magnifications and objective classes from binoculars of that era.

See this link for information

http://www.europa.com/~telscope/jbcode.txt

Ive tried to search for Toei Kokagu and Warabi Kokisha, but there isn't any information about those companies that I can find.
Is it good quality? What would todays value be?
Also, what year do you think they were manufactured? My dad thinks in and around 1959 - 1960.

Thanks for all your help! =]

I have no idea what happened to all of those companies after the Japan Telescope Inspection Service ceased functioning. Some are probably still around and others probably not. Those that exist may have different names too.

In all likelihood, there is probably no particular collector value with this binocular. You see similar looking pieces on eBay from $5.00-25.00. This was likely a generic 8x40 binocular design that was contracted for by the company represented on the label because they wanted to sell a few binoculars. It is probably a decent, functional instrument, but I tend to think it was nothing too special. Its main value was that it was your grandfather's.

There could be something unique, historical, or valuable in the lineage of the branded label, but probably not. I have no idea about that, but maybe somebody else does.

Last edited:
Made 1959-60 sounds about right. My guess without your information would have been mid-50's to early 70's. Value too at about $25 sounds correct although the optical quality of some of these numerous and inexpensive Japanese binoculars can be surprisingly good.

Thank you to Simon, Steve and LPT for the quick response! You're right in that it's value is that it was my grandfathers. I will give it a cleaning (outside, to scared to open it) and use it, as it works great otherwise. Kind of a newbie question but does 8X40 mean that an object 40 ft away will look 8 ft away with these?

8X means that it magnifies what your are looking at 8 times. 40 is the diameter in mm of the objective (front) lens.

I think most people find the 8x40 a good overall configuration, not too heavy, easy to use handheld, and has a good 5mm exit pupil making it a usable (if not great) night glass.
Value of this binocular, is no more than $30 or so, but as sentimental value, priceless.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back