• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss D.R.P. Binoculars year identification help (2 Viewers)

philacio

United States
Hi, I'm new here. What a great forum!

I came across some pretty beat up old binoculars that were my grandfather's from Germany. While very faded, I can see they are Carl Zeiss Jena D.R.P.

Most serial numbers seem to be 6 numbers, but these are only 4.

I've searched and read many of the previous Zeiss posts to help identify them and they all seem to point to a page by Peter Abrahams on a site called Europa.com. That website looks be down and for sale now, unfortunately. Does anyone know any other serial number listing sites or a pdf to help identify the year? I can only find one for lenses.

Hi philacio and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Binocular Forum as they're better placed to help you in there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, I'm new here. What a great forum!

I came across some pretty beat up old binoculars that were my grandfather's from Germany. While very faded, I can see they are Carl Zeiss Jena D.R.P.

Most serial numbers seem to be 6 numbers, but these are only 4.

I've searched and read many of the previous Zeiss posts to help identify them and they all seem to point to a page by Peter Abrahams on a site called Europa.com. That website looks be down and for sale now, unfortunately. Does anyone know any other serial number listing sites or a pdf to help identify the year? I can only find one for lenses.
Sadly the Peter Abrahams site and its helpful files and links appear to be gone, although perhaps the 'wayback machine' could retrieve it at least partly.
The DRP designation is short for Deutsches Reich Patent, patent markings which I think were used before WW1.
If you could post some pictures of your glass there are some real experts on this forum who could help identify the model and narrow down your search.

Sadly the Peter Abrahams site and its helpful files and links appear to be gone, although perhaps the 'wayback machine' could retrieve it at least partly.
The DRP designation is short for Deutsches Reich Patent, patent markings which I think were used before WW1.
If you could post some pictures of your glass there are some real experts on this forum who could help identify the model and narrow down your search.
Good advice. It took a little work but here’s a link for future searches: Wayback Machine

Hi philacio and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I've moved your post to the Binocular Forum as they're better placed to help you in there.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Sorry, still learning my way around. Thanks for helping out!

While it's not all that reliable (as not all Zeiss production was numbered in the one sequence),
see the full table from Peter's site below.

John

Attachments

• Zeiss Production, table.pdf
    23 KB · Views: 37
D.R.P. stands for Deutsches Reichspatent. This designation was in use from the inception of the Kaiserliches Patentamt in 1877 until the demise of the Reichspatentamt (closed down by the allies after all patents, trade names etc. had been anulled/confiscated) in 1945.
Four digit numbers ended some time in 1879. It must be remembered that these are then patent numbers applicable over a series of years (until the patent ran out) as distinct from an item's serial number.

A separate question if anyone can help. I also have what appears to be foldable opera glasses. I’ve searched the web but found almost nothing on the brand Schooner. There seem to be tons of similar Japanese brand ones. I was told these are from around 1958. IMG_4545.jpegIMG_4546.jpeg

Hi philacio and welcome aboard.

My one thought on only 4 digits to its description is probably do to it being that is quite an old Bin and they have created many more since then. Thus, more numbers.

Thanks coastgirl.

I am not an expert on Zeiss Jena binoculars.

But the binocular seems to be single coated.

Also the K mark and 8.2 degrees seems unusual.

Possibly a Japanese version or maybe fake.

I am not sure if the serial number is genuine either.

But possibly genuine.

Someone with more knowledge will no doubt know.

Regards,
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back