• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x30 and 10x35 E2 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

normjackson said:
Agreed Andy, doesn't seem to be any sense in same person making consecutive bids unless they are trying to edge their way towards a hidden reserve price (which isn't case here).

Actually there is nothing necessarily suspicious about this pattern of bidding. I think its just an artefact of the way eBay handles bids. I have an item currently on sale (not optical!) with no reserve, The starting price was £6.50 and one person bid that amount. Then there appears to be about 8 consecutive bids from one other person, each £1 higher. Then the original bidder comes out on top. What I think happens is that if the first bidder submitted his maximum bid - say in this case £15 - each time someone adds a bid between the starting price and his max they are told they are not the highest bider, but their bid is still registered. In this example the second bidder eventually gave up before passing the first bidder's max, if that makes sense.

Not to say there might be other doubts about the Nikon SE auction, but not necessarily dodgy bidding!

Paul

ps A pair of 8x30 Swaros also went cheap today - any thoughts on that one?

Yowsa Paul. Thanks for that and happy to accept you're right on this one (not least since the alternative would appear to be a fried brain :storm: ). So you're saying failed bids and Ebay's automatic bid increments on behalf of bidder are all recorded as actual bids. Must say wish I'd known earlier it was OK to bid against oneself to reach hidden reserve (not something can normally do at a "real" auction). Was in a situation where didn't know value of item but was prepared to trust (reputable) seller's valuation (which only existed as hidden reserve); waited in vain for someone to bid against my initial bid which was below reserve. Doh...

Anyway, Paul, before we get in trouble for going off topic, tell me all about your plans to supplement your Nikon ED78 with either a Nikon EII or Superior E |=)|

Norm

P.S. How about starting off a new thread on "Binoculars on Ebay" with a link to that (whisper) Swarovski auction which experienced EBayers could comment on. Then again, mightn't you inadvertently end up encouraging rival bidders when your own dream binoculars eventually appear? Hmmm, the dilemma...

Sorry, Adam, for the part I played. If it’s any solace, given the way the discussion has veered, it seems you were right in your earlier post; Nikon EIIs, the Eva Herzigova of the binocular world, not... :frog:

Blackstart said:
Nope, but the E2 is certainly faithful and reliable!

-Adam

What is amazing is the wide field of view 451 ft at 100yds much much wider than any other equivalent 8 power that I'm aware of and wider than most 7 power bins

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back