• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck ID Warwickshire England 13th April (1 Viewer)

Hi Dave,

Certainly has an element of ScaupxTufted about it but I would have expected a greener gloss to the sides of the face?

Mark

I had the same thoughts as you Lee, although wasn't 100% sure of this. It looks like a hybrid and possibly too close to a Tufted for it to have Scaup or Pochard genes. The head shape possibly backs up the theory of a Ring-Necked x Tufted? Anyone have any pictures of these type of hybrids as I don't recall ever seeing any?

I think that if there were Ring-neckedX possibilities, they generally show alot more black at the bill tip, bordered by the pale, white band and a slightly darker grey to the bill base There are some good illustrations in the Collins Guide by Killian Mullarney

I think that if there were Ring-neckedX possibilities, they generally show alot more black at the bill tip, bordered by the pale, white band and a slightly darker grey to the bill base There are some good illustrations in the Collins Guide by Killian Mullarney

Agree with that.

However this is a difficult hybrid; as it is quite much on the Tufted duck side; I would consider a 2nd generation (F2) hybrid; or a backcross of an F1 hybrid (Tuftie x X) with a Tuftie.

Black bill tip is relatively small and oddly shaped for hybrids involving Tufted duck and Common Pochard.

Last edited:
I had the same thoughts as you Lee, although wasn't 100% sure of this. It looks like a hybrid and possibly too close to a Tufted for it to have Scaup or Pochard genes. The head shape possibly backs up the theory of a Ring-Necked x Tufted? Anyone have any pictures of these type of hybrids as I don't recall ever seeing any?

Here are a couple of pics of a bird I saw that is mooted as a probable Ring-neck/Tufted hybrid. Seen a few weeks ago in central Ireland. Apologies for the rubbish pics. I took them so feel free to rubbish them ;) They're over-exposed. The spur wasn't so clear in scope views.
Somebody will have better pics but these may help to partly answer your question. Along with the observations above of course. I posted them in another forum on BF before.

Attachments

• Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 6.JPG
    Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 6.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 1.JPG
    Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 1.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 100
  • Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 2.JPG
    Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 2.JPG
    235.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 3.JPG
    Lough Eorna, 15-03-08, 3.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics of a bird I saw that is mooted as a probable Ring-neck/Tufted hybrid. Seen a few weeks ago in central Ireland. Apologies for the rubbish pics. I took them so feel free to rubbish them ;) They're over-exposed. The spur wasn't so clear in scope views.
Somebody will have better pics but these may help to partly answer your question. Along with the observations above of course. I posted them in another forum on BF before.

And we worry about Ruddy Ducks !!! That thing should be well and truly shot ! ;)

Amazing head shape !

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back