• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic Lumix FZ20 (1 Viewer)

Tockman

Hi Guys,
Anyone out there using a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 ?
Leica Lens/12x optical/4x digital, equivalent to 36-432 mm! Mega OIS (image stabilized) 5.0M. all for £398, sounds to good to be true!
Any info/views, much appreciated.
Thanks, Alan.

Just do a site search for FZ20, Alan - quite a lot of people are using the camera and liking it fine, by all accounts.

I bought one myself recently on the strength of the positive feedback on here - some very nice shots in the gallery too.

I have one myself. It performs very well for bird photography but isn't quite up to DSLR quality - but then again it's a good bit cheaper than any DSLR bodies let alone a decent lens as well. It can also be used with a teleconverter for a bit more reach.

I was just out this morning with mine at Derwentside having a look at the Red Kites. The two single birds were c.30 yards away with no teleconverter. The formation lying pair were 60+ yards away taken with a good bit of digital zoom.

I should add that as Keith says a check on the camera forums will find more posts about this camera and a Gallery search for FZ20 will give more photo expamples.

Attachments

• P1020069co.jpg
    P1020069co.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 519
  • P1020071ao.jpg
    P1020071ao.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 649
  • P1020096ao.jpg
    P1020096ao.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:
Re Fz20

Tockman said:
Hi Guys,
Anyone out there using a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 ?
Leica Lens/12x optical/4x digital, equivalent to 36-432 mm! Mega OIS (image stabilized) 5.0M. all for £398, sounds to good to be true!
Any info/views, much appreciated.
Thanks, Alan.
Hi Alan.
I got one just after Christmas and I found it a bit of a challenge but once you have mastered the learning curve I think you will like it.Iwould say go for it but shop around the £398 seems a bit steep Ionly paid around £340-£350.
Best of luck.
stanacko.

IanF said:
I have one myself. It performs very well for bird photography but isn't quite up to DSLR quality - but then again it's a good bit cheaper than any DSLR bodies let alone a decent lens as well. It can also be used with a teleconverter for a bit more reach.

I was just out this morning with mine at Derwentside having a look at the Red Kites. The two single birds were c.30 yards away with no teleconverter. The formation lying pair were 60+ yards away taken with a good bit of digital zoom.

I should add that as Keith says a check on the camera forums will find more posts about this camera and a Gallery search for FZ20 will give more photo expamples.
I have been thinking about buying this camera or a similar one myself. I just can't see lugging around a scope every time I want to take a picture; and judging by your photos I think it would make an excellent starter camera for me to take occasional shots of birds and other wildlife. Is it easy to use? My wife has a hard time working new gadgets and she would be using the camera for general purpose as well.

I use the scope and the FZ20. Close in shots up to 20' and flight shots then the FZ20 is more suitable to use. Anything further then the scope comes into it's own.

I must admit that 99% of the time I use the camera set on automatic so it's just point and shoot. I do have a background in photography though so it may depend on what experience you have. Best advice is to do as I did and sit down with the camera and manual which is easy to read and not very thick and set it up before you start shooting for things like spot metering, file sizes, IS modes etc. Once it's done you seldom have to alter the settings any more than a bit of EV compensation which is done via the toggle button. The photos above were taken on auto focus/exposure as the birds weren't close in for very long. However the camera is capable of much more with manual control for focus via a ring manual, shutter priority and aperture priority settings for exposure exposure. The biggest benefit for me is the image stabiliser.

Two niggles are that it doesn't perform very well in dull conditions - though up to around 16' the flash is very good indeed and in bright sunshine with the subject in backlit conditions the lens is prone to CA.

Other than that it's a great buy and very easy to use, even straight out the box.

I use the Olympus Tcon-17 with the FZ20 though the Sony HGD1758 is also pretty popular.

You do need an adapter to mount it though. The adapter also acts as lens armour so I leave it fitted all of the time. This is the one I use htttp://www.pemaraal.com/fz10ac.html . As with all adapters there is a slight loss in quality of the image, but it's neglible to my mind. Even more reach can be gained from combining two adapters to give near digiscoping distances. I use the Tcon14+Tcon17 in tandem - though it does need a bit of DIY to cement a filter mount to the front of the Tcon14.

Some more FZ20 examples..

From another happy user.

Attachments

• Brodit 2.JPG
    Brodit 2.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 494
  • Little Plover.JPG
    Little Plover.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 483
  • Stork.JPG
    Stork.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Temink3.JPG
    Temink3.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 518
  • White Tailed Plover.JPG
    White Tailed Plover.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 458
Got mine a couple of weeks ago, I had trouble choosing between the FZ20 and the Z5 until I got my hands on the Z5. I found the zoom very tricky and the whole thing felt a bit like a toy.

I've not had a lot of opportunity to use the FZ20 yet but what pics I have taken I must say I've been well impressed with. Best results in the sunshine and don't make the mistake of thinking the 12x zoom will replace digiscoping, but apart from that I'm glad I spent the extra and got the FZ20 and not the Z5.

I'll try to upload an example from this weekend when I have the files here (at work)

Woody

The Tcon-17 is simply a 1.7x teleconverter with a 55mm rear thread, so it will fit a camera lens or lens adapter of that thread. I now use it on the FZ20 but previously used it on the FZ10 prior to that extensively on an Olympus C2100UZ camera. Other people use it on the Olympus C7** series of cameras. It won't fit every camera though.

The ciritical bit is mounting it on the camera as most digital cameras have external zooms that move in and out which means they need to be capable of taking an adapter, sometimes known as lens armour as it also protects the moving part of the lens and can be left in place all of the time. For Olymous cameras this used to be the CLA-1 or CL-A4 adapters, depending on camera design and for the Panasonic there are several different brands available, I opted for the Pemeraal type.

Thanks for your comments and info, I never thought of searching the gallery for a Camera Type! a good tip.
Thanks to RedBishop for your Pics, can't fault those, from what distance were they taken approx.(with or without converter?)
From your posts it sounds like a decent camera, think I might go for it!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, Alan.

I'm an old fuddy duddy and I don't like the plastic versions, purely because of bad experiences with plastic ones of crossed threads and stripped threads. These may be alright but I trust and prefer the feel of metal. I use the black anodised aluminium version which matches my camera perfectly. I use a step ring to mount the Tcon-17. I actually bought mine though www.photosolve.com but they don't seem to stock them now. I suspect it's because Pemaraal now market their own - which is only a guess. I see they now do a lens hood combined - a very good move and well worth considering as with any converter lens of this size, you have to watch out for flare. Knowing what I do now, I'd have opted for a built in lens hood rather than the DIY one I use now.

I hadn't checked their site for UK deliveries, but on looking they do do overseas shipping on certain items including adapters.

One thing I really should add here is that anyone using the FZ20 it really is worth giving the camera a go without add on lenses. I had the Tcon-17 for use with my previous camera to which it really added reach. With the FZ20 I'm not as 100% convinced as to the real benefit. A converter does make a difference but as to how much I'm not certain. Recent thoughts on a couple of other forums I browse (heresy I know ;)) suggested use of a small amount of digital zoom yielded results as good as using a converter. The shots I attached above were taken using digital zoom. Worth considering before spending more cash. I must admit I haven't yet tried the converter plus digital zoom yet.

IS is no problem at all, in fact it's even more effective as the risk of camera shake is even greater with longer focal lengths. One thing about the Tcon-17, it doesn't seem to add anything to exposure times so you don't lose an f-stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back