• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D70 AFS or AFC (1 Viewer)

mike hawley

Occasional Alcoholic
The Nikon handbook for the D70 recommends using AFS with telephoto lens when using dynamic focus areas. I want to capture pics of flying birds using my D70 with a Sigma 100-300 HSM lens.
I will experiment but wondered if anybody could give me the benefit of their experience - which form of autofocus will yield the most consistent results AFS or AFC??

I can't get away with AF-C myself (others can).

My problem with it is that this setting allows you to take pictures whether or not the focus has locked and - for me - that really doesn't help.

I'd rather have a locked focus at the price of the camera sometimes not taking the shot at all (AF-S will only allow the shutter to activate once focus locks) and although it can be argued that any shot is better than none - in which case AF-C is best - I'm happy enough with getting fewer pictures, but a higher percentage that are in focus.

I find that only birds coming straight towards me at speed are a real problem when in AF-S.

That's just me though..!

;)

If youy are planning on taking shots of flying birds I wouldn't contemplate using anything other than AF-C. You may get a lot of out-of-focus shots but you will also get a lot more good shots overall.

martin

Well, as they say, your mileage may vary...

;)

I'd like to think that these qualify as OK, all were AF-S.

http://kazemisu.me.uk/birdimages/index.php?list=5

Horses for courses and all that, but AF-S did just fine here, and - believe me - fulmars are a serious challenge.

Looks like you'll have to try things out for yourself, Mike - it'll probably come down to what you prefer, not what's "best".

;)

Last edited:
Personally Mike, i use nothing but af-c & always have done. It probably helps if you have a lens with quick af though. I would rather take the risk of having out of focus shots than not getting anything! Digital costs nothing remember. As Keith says, try them both & see how you go.
Regards Rob.

Hi,

I can't seem to get decent shots with AF-C, and always use AF-S, even for flying birds. I try and get them in focus in the centre focus area if I can. You can browse the shots in my galleries here in Bird Forum Galleries to see the results.

Richard

I have always used AF-S since my last airshow, AF-C wasn't always locked on when I took the photos and they almost all came out crap. I like AF-S more since I can press the release down all of the way and it takes the photo the instant it is in focus. My photos are a lot sharper since I started doing this!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back