• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Klaas's Cuckoo (1 Viewer)

Toy Janssen

Hello,

having doubts about identification about this bird. I think its a juv Klaas's Cuckoo but I not sure if it could be a female/juv Emerald Cuckoo. Foto was taking in The Gambia (close to Senegambia hotel) in january 2008

Attachments

• 01022008-Klaas's_cuckoo_2321.jpg
    01022008-Klaas's_cuckoo_2321.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 147
Juv Klaas's Cuckoo it is Toy. The other posts are describing adult Klaas's. Emerald is a rare bird in Gambia and is associated with forest remnants. Should find all the info you need and a good photo on the opus page here. Cracking shot by the way!

Toy

A very good photo. I got out my museum notes for my illustrations in the East African guide to double check the features for these quite similar species.

Female/immature Emerald Cuckoo has broad (bronze-) greenish bars on the underparts, distributed densely down to the vent; immature Klaas's has narrower bars, sometimes on a buff or off-white background. The post-ocular spot on Klaas's can be well hidden by barring, but on Emerald there should be no white at all behind the eye.

Based on my museum notes and photos - illustrations in the EA guide - and on the fact that Emerald is really quite rare in the Gambia (I have not seen one in ten visits), I would go for Klaas's Cuckoo for both images.

Brian S

Having looked at the enlarged photo, it is possible to make out the white outer tail which is a feature of Klaas's.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back