• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May Day with family in tow (1 Viewer)

Richard G

Following my request for suggestions where to go in another thread, the non-birding majority in the family over-ruled my suggestions of Bolton Abbey or Bempton, and we ended up spending yesterday at Brimham Rocks near Ripon.

Still, I wasn't going to let this spoil the day out, so I still took along the bins to see what was around.

Thought it was going to be a nightmare day when we had to make a quick pit stop near Fewston to sort out an episode of car sickness for my 4 year old daughter, but that soon passed!!

Anyway from the car I spotted Chaffinch, Blue Tit, House Martin, Swallow, Crow, Wood Pigeon, Lapwing, Curlew & Hen Harrier.

Whilst letting the kids do their impressions of mountain goats on the rocks at Brimham, I added Robin, Willow Warbler, Blackbird & Jackdaw to the list. We then set off for a walk over Brimham Moor. Here I saw Red Grouse, Skylark, Rook & Pheasant. As an added bonus I also saw a Deer in the distance.

Quick stop in Pateley Bridge to let the kids on the park added Pied Wagtail and Black Headed Gull, then I persuaded the family that a quick detour to Gouthwaite Resevoir would be in order. I've taken my 7 year old son here before, and he agreed it would be good to go again.

We stopped in the small car park, and wandered over to the viewing area. It was here I wished I'd left my scope in the boot, as I would have had better detailed views of a certain wader that I still can't ID. Could definitly add Mallard, Tufted Duck, Goldfinch, Redshank, Ringed Plover (a life tick!!) Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Cormorant, Oystercatcher, Kestrel, Sand Martin & Great Black Backed Gull.

All in all had a good day, and I've kept Bolton Abbey in reserve for a couple of weeks time.

Well done Richard,
Gouthwaite can be very good for raptors, but it is most definitely a scope that you need there.
I've never considered Brimham Rocks as a birding destination, but if there are grouse up there I might just suggest it as a destination for our next family day out. Thankfully my kids are in their teens so car-sickness is no longer a worry.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back