• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Petrels, Albatrosses & Storm-Petrels of North Am., A Photographic Guide (1 Viewer)

Jim M.

Member since 2007
Supporter
United States
This much-anticipated volume by Steve N.G. Howell is just out, and I received my copy yesterday. It fills a major gap in the advanced ID literature. Have just skimmed through it at this point, but it looks great! Some random comments:

-- The subtitle "a photographic guide" might lead some to expect a field guide with photos. But it is a massive 500 page hardcover volume -- I suppose you could take it with you on a pelagic trip to read in the cabin, but you certainly won't be carrying it around on deck. I would describe it as a reference guide with photos that emphasizes identification issues. It is similar in size to, but about 25% thicker than, Gulls of the Americas, by Howell & Dunn.

-- Covers 70 species of tubenoses, including vagrants, occurring from Alaska to Panama. (Includes all Shearwaters, by the way, which are classified as Petrels).

-- There is a 50 page introduction covering ocean dynamics, taxonomy, general identification issues, molts, and conservation. Each major group, e.g. "Large Shearwaters", "White-rumped Storm-Petrels", also has an introductory section giving an overview, including some discussion and photos illustrating difficult identification problems. The bulk of the book consists of individual species accounts. And unlike Gulls of the Americas, most of the photos for a particular species are included in the species account, so there are not separate sections for text and photos. The text of each species account begins with a helpful brief "Identification Summary", a discussion of taxonomy and nomenclature, the discussion of status and distribution with large easy-to-read maps, and then an extensive discussion of field identification, which includes similar species, habitat and behavior, and molt.

-- In addition to numerous photos of individuals of each species both flying and resting on the water, identified by date and place, the book also has some multi-species and flock photos that help you see how to pick out one species in comparison to others. This is the approach pioneered by The Shorebird Guide (O'Brien, Crossley, & Karlson).

-- My only complaint at this point is that it does not cover Jaegers or Skuas. I know they are not tubenoses, but they are difficult to identify birds frequently seen in their company on pelagic trips. Since they are also not covered in gull books, there is a gap in ID coverage for these birds, esp. when it comes to photo guides.

-- About the only thing I can think of that the book does not provide that would be helpful for identification is videos showing flight styles. Would be nice if there were a companion website with these.

Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/Petrels-Albat..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07AXTYQX7XH8B75XJA4W

Jim

Last edited:
This much-anticipated volume by Steve N.G. Howell is just out, and I received my copy yesterday. It fills a major gap in the advanced ID literature. Have just skimmed through it at this point, but it looks great! Some random comments:

-- The subtitle "a photographic guide" might lead some to expect a field guide with photos. But it is a massive 500 page hardcover volume -- I suppose you could take it with you on a pelagic trip to read in the cabin, but you certainly won't be carrying it around on deck. I would describe it as a reference guide with photos that emphasizes identification issues. It is similar in size to, but about 50% thicker than, Gulls of the Americas, by Howell & Dunn.

-- Covers 70 species, including vagrants, occurring from Alaska to Panama. (Includes all Shearwaters, by the way, which are classified as Petrels).

-- There is a 50 page introduction covering ocean dynamics, taxonomy, general identification issues, molts, and conservation. Each major group, e.g. "Large Shearwaters", "White-rumped Storm-Petrels", also has an introductory section giving an overview, including some discussion and photos illustrating difficult identification problems. The bulk of the book consists of individual species accounts. And unlike Gulls of the Americas, most of the photos for a particular species are included in the species account, so there are not separate sections for text and photos. The text of each species account begins with a helpful brief "Identification Summary", a discussion of taxonomy and nomenclature, the discussion of status and distribution with large easy-to-read maps, and then an extensive discussion of field identification, which includes similar species, habitat and behavior, and molt.

-- In addition to numerous photos of individuals of each species both flying and resting on the water, identified by date and place, the book also has some multi-species and flock photos that help you see how to pick out one species in comparison to others. This is the approach pioneered by The Shorebird Guide (O'Brien, Crossley, & Karlson).

-- My only complaint at this point is that it does not cover Jaegers or Skuas. I know they are not tubenoses, but they are difficult to identify birds frequently seen in their company on pelagic trips. Since they are also not covered in gull books, there is a gap in ID coverage for these birds, esp. when it comes to photo guides.

-- About the only thing I can think of that the book does not provide that would be helpful for identification is videos showing flight styles. Would be nice if there were a companion website with these.

Jim

If you are after a top class book with a DVD covering flight styles in a way that you would see them on a pelagic, this is a quality book

http://www.scillypelagics.com/Multimedia_ID_Guide_SP_BUPE.html

If you are after a top class book with a DVD covering flight styles in a way that you would see them on a pelagic, this is a quality book

http://www.scillypelagics.com/Multimedia_ID_Guide_SP_BUPE.html

Yes, thanks. Was aware of it, which is why I mentioned lack of video footage. Appears to be an excellent series, but looks like only the Storm-petrel volume is out at this point (which has been true for some time I believe), and as it's limited to the North Atlantic it won't help much with identifying birds on Pacific pelagics. Perhaps a website or DVD companion set for the Howell book, which covers both coasts of NA, will come out at some point.

Jim

Last edited:
The book is available in Canada this coming week.

Any photos of vagrants? Light-mantled Sooty Albatross from California?

Michael

Yes. There are nine photos of the albatross. All species covered are depicted. There are 15 photos of Black-bellied Storm-Petrels, even though there are only four North American records. The only species for which there are no photos are the extinct species which are covered in appendix.

Jim

In addition to numerous photos of individuals of each species both flying and resting on the water, identified by date and place, the book also has some multi-species and flock photos that help you see how to pick out one species in comparison to others. This is the approach pioneered by The Shorebird Guide (O'Brien, Crossley, & Karlson).

I was very happy to see this. So far, my only complaint about the book is that I wish the photos were a bit larger. There seems to be an excessive amount of whitespace around them (to my eye, anyway). This is especially the case with the mixed-species shots, as I really want to study them.

But overall, great book. If you think you might ever someday, just possibly, go on a pelagic trip, then you should go ahead and get this! And if you've already been on one, you know just how much this was needed.

So far, my only complaint about the book is that I wish the photos were a bit larger. There seems to be an excessive amount of whitespace around them (to my eye, anyway). This is especially the case with the mixed-species shots, as I really want to study them.

You are right they could be a bit larger. And there is more white space than in Gulls of the Americas, for example. But I don't really feel the need for the photos to be larger. You could argue that since pelagic birds, unlike most gulls for example, are usually seen at some distance and without the aid of a scope, big photos showing every feather detail would not simulate field conditions. (Cf. Hawks at a Distance). Howell makes some similar points in the introduction:
Because good close-range views of many tubenoses tend to be brief, observers should learn to appreciate the overall structure and plumage patterns of birds viewed at a distance before worrying about details such as how deeply a tail is forked.
(Page 30).

It should also be noted that overall I'd say the photos are not of exceptional aesthetic quality compared to recent photo guides of more sedentary birds. I think this is partly because of the special challenges of photographing pelagic birds at sea from a moving boat, as well as the scarcity of photos of many pelagic species. But again I don't think this detracts, and is partly intentional, because exceptional photos don't simulate the "looks" one gets in field conditions. And some photos in challenging conditions are included specifically to show how the appearance of a bird can vary with conditions.

Jim

Good point, Jim. I haven't gotten that far in the intro :)

I'll have to see if my initial impression changes once I've had a chance to really study and actually use in the field, er...on the water. (which will be in a week!)

Last edited:
....... But I need to be a bit patient now as it may take two months to arrive.

It's on the way now, with an expected delivery scheduled for March 1. With a bit of patience, overseas shipping is still reasonable. But I often find that sellers don't want to ship that way as there is no tracking available.

Mine arrived. WOW!!!!!

I think that the photos are quite good on first review. Trying to photograph from a moving ship is hard enough, shooting a storm petrel is extremely difficult.

......to Europe. But I need to be a bit patient now as it may take two months to arrive.

My book was here on Monday, thus very much faster than announced. Definitely a fine book. I'd have loved to see all the species of the world included, but that would have added at least as many again as there are now. As it is, there are many pictures for the same species with a wide range of plumages. Really great stuff. :t:

Amazon UK seems to have been unusually slow with this title, although my copy was reportedly dispatched at last on Thursday.
Arrived today.

At £23.21 including delivery (RRP £30.95) for a 500+pp hardback with 975 photos/figs and 66 maps, it certainly represents very good value.

Perhaps this is due to UK distribution of this title by Princeton University Press UK, rather than via a co-publishing agreement with Bloomsbury (Helm)?

Arrived today.

At £23.21 including delivery (RRP £30.95) for a 500+pp hardback with 975 photos/figs and 66 maps, it certainly represents very good value.

Pretty similar to what it cost me from Amazon US shipped to Switzerland. BookDepository is decidedly more expensive on this one then. At any rate, it's a very interesting book.

Reviewed by Lee Evans on the UK400 Club Bird Forum today...
PETRELS, SHEARWATERS & STORM-PETRELS OF NORTH AMERICA by Steve N.G. Howell

Wow, this exciting tomb thudded down onto my doormat at the weekend and what a publication it is. With heavy rain all day on Sunday I was able to absorb its contents without worrying what I was missing outside. This is a Photographic Guide by an acclaimed field ornithologist and writer and is a collaboration of the minds and field-skills of J. Brian Patteson, Kate Sutherland and Debra Shearwater. It is a well-produced, neatly presented and nicely formatted hardback running at just under 470 pages and fully details the large shearwaters, small shearwaters, Atlantic Gadfly Petrels, Pacific Gadfly Petrels, North Atlantic and vagrant Albatrosses and both the white-rumped and dark-rumped storm petrels.

Each group of birds is introduced by a summary of its characters, at times with overviews and photographs treating in detail some of the more challenging identifications, followed by individual species' accounts. Each species documented is enlightened by an excellent field identification section and then supplemented by annotated images where appropriate. Easy-to-read and use maps enhance the main text as do sections on status and distribution, fully utilising all up-to-date information.

The Introduction section runs for 50 pages and is an essential ingredient of the publication, being excellently written and produced in a format which is easily understood. There then follows the main meat of the publication - the species' accounts. No less than 58 species are featured, some six pages on average being devoted to each one. A large selection of photographs are featured and these, in the main, are well chosen and highly representative. Frustratingly, some of the images have come out a little darker than expected in the printing process but this is a minor quibble.

I cross-checked a few entries with peer-reviewed identification papers (Scopoli's Shearwater for example) and was very pleased with the results, the information being offered being of a high quality and seemingly accurate in fine detail. The authors have certainly done their homework with this guide. I was very pleased too to see all of the proposed taxonomic changes incorporated and these highly distinct forms treated separately and well documented (eg, the Fea's Petrel group).

Although I know it is essentially a Photographic Guide, I do feel the publication would have benefited further by the inclusion of plates, such as the exceptional and outstanding one of the small shearwaters on page 147.

This is a truly essential guide for seawatchers and keen birders on both sides of the Atlantic, even though it is written in the main for a North American audience. It is a particularly well-written guide that should be used as a primary reference for those studying these mysterious sea-dwellers.

It is published by Princeton University Press and is available direct or from retail outlets - the UK price at present £31.00 plus postage & packing.

Lee G R Evans
British Birding Association
UK400 Club, Rare Birds Magazine, Ornithological Consultant and Conservationist

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back