• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some missing journals and books with Swedish Eponyms (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
In my search of Swedish Naturalists commemorated in various scientific Bird names I have tried to search the internet (as well as the Swedish library system), but this far I have not been able to find the following Original descriptions, in:

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis [alternate title: Toa chogaku iho ?]
● "Troglodytes troglodytes lönnbergi" MOMIYAMA 1927. 1 (1): p. 90
● "Chloris sinica lönnbergi". MOMIYAMA 1928. 1 (2): p. 179

Birds (of) Australia
● "Pseudoprion turtur solanderi" MATHEWS 1912. 2: p. 220

Kaidori [alternate title: Kaidori Shusei (Coloured Plates of Cage Birds in Japan)?]
● "Sitta europaea bergmani" MOMIYAMA 1931. 2 (8): p. 20, fig. C
Article: The Sittidae or Family of Nuthatches (Alt. "On a family of Nutchaches" (sic) [In Japanese])

Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vogel [alternate/full title: Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vogel oder ihre Kennzeichen der Art nach Lathams General Synopsis of Birds und seinem Index ornithologicus]
● "Psittacus Sparmanni" BECHSTEIN 1811: p. 80

Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics [Full title: Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics, devant servir de base à une monographie de ces oiseaux grimpeurs]
● "Linneopicus" (?). MALHERBE 1850: p. 52
Note: Here I´m looking only for the 1850 issue, that seems to be extremely rare. The 1848 and 1852 (as well as even later, similar titled) issues I´ve already got.

Anyone know where to find any of those (either digital or "in real life")?

Don´t hesitate to remark on either one if anything seems wrong, if I misunderstood something or if you have found other alternate titles (or ways to find them)!

All help finding any of those OD's is warmly welcomed.

PS: This thread is only created to search for the actual OD's.
The persons behind these Eponyms are all fairly well-known.
---

Last edited:
Birds (of) Australia

Probably you already know this... but that's from Volume 2 of a multivolume (at least 12 volumes) set which Mathews published between 1910 and 1927. None of the libraries I have access to locally have it, I expect that only a few Australian libraries would have a complete set these days.

Maybe try one of this Libraries for ''Annotationes ornithologiae orientalis''. Not sure how e.g. Hathi Trust Digital Libray provide their digital sets. Maybe someone in US have access to this ones

The Malherbe one in fact very rare. Only in Paris and at Smithsonian Institution Libraries. But the sepertate book must be very close to here which I think Malherbe indicated here

In Leiden seems to be the BECHSTEIN one.

But I assume all very difficult to get.

Last edited:
Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics, first edition was published in 1849 in a journal:
Taphrospilus's first link.
Here Malherbe puts herminieri in Melampicos. In July 1850 he published seperatly this article with updates.
Second edition language: http://biodiversitylibrary.org/item/124405#page/340/mode/1up .
One of the updates was to create Linneopicus for herminieri. We know this because Strickland reviewed Nouvell classification in Contributions of Ornithology in 1851.
https://books.google.com/books?id=T...rbe+Jardine+ornithology&source=gbs_navlinks_s . Page 20 of 1851 part. Strickland translates into English the generic characteristics of Linneopicus.

Last edited:
Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vogel. I cannot find it online. It was published in 4 bandes. 1-3 published 1793-8 Bande 4 was published in 2 thiels 1811-12. Zimmer in his 1927 work on the Ayer library explains. "An edition, in German, of Latham's, "A General Synopsis of Birds," 1781-85, and the first "Supplement" thereto, 1787 (q.v.) (comprising Vols. I-III) and of the
"Index Ornithologicus," 1790 (q.v.) (comprising Vol. IV). Much additional matter is added by the translator and editor, Bechstein. A large part of the addenda to Vol. I is added at the close of the volume (pp. 651-738 and pll. "Zus." i and 2) under the separate title-page, "Anhang zum ersten Bande," etc.; the additions to the other volumes are scattered through the text. The plates, for the most part, are reproductions of those in Latham's original work. Pts. I and II of Vol. IV contain additional title-pages lettered, "Kurze Ueber- sicht aller bekannten Vogel," etc., which, for convenience, are transcribed under that title (q.v., 1811-12). Engelmann cites a complete index to Bechstein's edition by Joh. Gtfr. von Rademacher, published in 1813." So the Rademacher work's pagination starts where Bechstein ends and is online:
http://digital.slub-dresden.de/werkansicht/dlf/30548/183 . Not that helpful I know.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, Martin and Mark!

Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics, first edition was published in 1849 ...
And ok, Mark, I guess you are right, the first version of Malherbe's article (the one without the Generic's linked to Linnaeus's name) does seems to have been published in 1849 … or isn´t that also what Malherbe himself is telling us on pp. XLVII and LXIX in the First volume* (1861) of that later, larger work "Monographie des picidées" (3 volumes 1861-1863)?

My knowledge of French isn´t sufficient enough to tell for sure. But I think that Malherbe here confirm his own Metz-article was published in that year.

Can anyone with better understanding of French, please, explain or tell … if that´s the case, or not?

--------------------------------------------------
*Not found in Biodiversity Heritage Library.

The first edition, as already noted above, was in 1849 in Mém. Acad. Nat. Metz: [here].
Then there was a second edition, as a separate book, where he apparently changed some things, including the generic classification of "Melampicos Herminieri". See in your first link:
Je n'hésitai pas à lui transmettre les documents qui ont composé la première édition de ma nouvelle classification des Picinés, imprimée dans les Mémoires de l'Académie Impériale de Metz (1849), dont la deuxième édition, publiée en septembre 1850, diffère par la transformation d'une section en un genre, par les terminaison génériques os en us, ainsi que par quelques autres addition.
"I did not hesitate to communicate him the documents which made up the first edition of my new classification of the Picines, printed in the Mémoires de l'Académie Impériale de Metz (1849), the second edition of which, published in September 1850, differs by the conversion of a section into a genus, by the generic endings os in us, as well as by a couple of other additions."

This second ed. is what you are after.

In the 1862 work, he retained the -us endings, but took herminieri back into what he now called Melampicus. His synonymy indicates that in 1850 he treated the species as "Linnæipicus herminieri, unlike Gray 1855, who according to him would have used Linneopicus (but actually used Linneopicos, and attributed Linnæipicus to Bonaparte 1854).

Linn/aei/oei/oi/ai/eo-pic-us/os

Thank´s Laurent,

Then 1849 it is! Bound in Mémoires de lʼAcadémie Nationale de Metz 1848-1849. My misstake. Thanks, Mark, for putting me straight!

And Laurent, you´ve figured out the main reason for this search, why I´m looking for Malherbe's second edition of the same article; the 1850 issue: to check, for sure, if the First Original spelling of this Generic name actually was Linnæipicus [Linnaeipicus] (as indicated by Malherbe himself, on exactly that page (here) or Linneopicus/os (as claimed by several other, later authors). In short: which spelling version was chronologically the actual First one?

According to Malherbe (in this list!) the -eo- version is (this far, not dealing with the ending -us or -os), like you say, Gray's, from 1855.

Also compare the other spellings noted by Malherbe on the following page XLVIII in vol. I (1861).

That´s the whole reason for this particular search. Who´s behind the name is beyond any doubt.

I assume (guess) the whole issue is due to how various Authors treat the Latin æ and/or œ (in some typefaces confusingly similar and easy to mix up).

I will send the Smithsonian Institution Libraries (or the Paris's one) an e-mail to see if I can get a photo copy.

We´ll see!

Ok, this far this good ... 4 out of 5 = CHECK!

Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis [alternate title: Toa chogaku iho]
● "Troglodytes troglodytes lönnbergi" MOMIYAMA 1927. 1 (1): p. 90
● "Chloris sinica lönnbergi". MOMIYAMA 1928. 1 (2): p. 179

= is apparently to be found in the collections of Cornell, Yale and Berkley libraries, USA!

Birds (of) Australia

= a complete set is apparently to be found in the "Mathews collection", National Library of Australia (Canberra).

Kaidori [alternate title: Kaidori Shusei (Coloured Plates of Cage Birds in Japan)?]
● "Sitta europaea bergmani" MOMIYAMA 1931. 2 (8): p. 20, fig. C
Article: The Sittidae or Family of Nuthatches (Alt. "On a family of Nutchaches" (sic) [In Japanese])

Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vogel [alternate/full title: Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vogel oder ihre Kennzeichen der Art nach Lathams General Synopsis of Birds und seinem Index ornithologicus]
● "Psittacus Sparmanni" BECHSTEIN 1811: p. 80

= ... ditto in the "Colonial Collection", Leiden University, Netherlands.

Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics [Full title: Nouvelle classification des picinées ou pics, devant servir de base à une monographie de ces oiseaux grimpeurs]
● "Linneopicus" (?). MALHERBE 1850: p. 52

= ... ditto in the Smithsonian Institution Libraries, USA and in the Bibliotheque Central du Museum Natural d'Hist National, Paris, France.

Not bad!

So what about that last annoying, still untraced Japanese journal; "Kaidori"?

Anyone have any clues to where this, the original issue (incl. bergmani), is to be found? Or a Facsimile? Is it really the proper (full) title? Or should it maybe, instead be written in Japanese letters? Any ideas?
---

Last edited:
"Kaidori" still missing!

Back-step. The "Kaidori" intended to include "bergmani" is apparently not present in the collection at Amherst. It will be, but at present it is still in the private possession of Richard Soffer (the forthcoming donor). Although they informed me that the National Diet Library in Tokyo had one copy (out of only two! In the whole WoldCat-system, the second one is in the Smithsonian Libraries, in the US, but that´s the 1939 Edition).

And now the National Diet Library informed me that the "Kaidori" that I assumed I was looking for is not equivalent of (Chakushoku Zuhen) Kaidori Shusei 1930, by Prince Nobusuke Takatsukasa. The latter is a one-volume work, a single book, that doesn´t include any bird named "bergmani"!

So "Kaidori Shusei" was, is a miss-turn, a dead end.

Thereby the question remain: Where to find the OD of "Sitta europaea bergmani" MOMIYAMA 1931. Kaidori 2 (8): p. 20, fig. C …!?

It is supposedly being presented in an article titled: "The Sittidae or Family of Nuthatches" (Alt. "On a family of Nutchaches"[sic]), in Japanese.

Anyone know where to find this Kaidori?

Got them!

The last five missing journals found!

It paid out! Now I´ve finally got all the OD's of ALL the bird names commemorating anyone of Swedish origin.

For those concerned of their respective Original spellings and sources, see below and attachments.

bergmani
● in the invalid subspecies "Sitta europæa bergmani" MOMIYAMA 1931 [syn. of either Sitta europaea baicalensis TACZANOWSKI 1882 or S. e. clara STEJNEGER 1887 alt. (the complex group) S. e. asiatica GOULD 1835*]
The OD is found in: Momiyama, Toku Taro. 1931. On a Family of Nuthaches [sic] in Japan. Reprinted from ̒Kaidori ̓ vol. ii, no. 8, pp.1–25, with plate, Dec., 1931. Note: the original "Kaidori" itself is still unseen by me, but this reprint will have to do. [bergmani is here found on p. 20, noteworthy is that this name is mentioned in the introduction (on p. 4) as "bergmanui" [sic], although the erroneous u is carefully crossed over with a red pencil (possibly by Momiyama himself, as the copy I looked at was personally signed by the Author)]

*If asiatica GOULD have priority I do not understand why.

Linneopicus
● in the invalid Generic name "Linneopicus" MALHERBE 1850
OD in: Malherbe, Alfred. 1850. Nouvelle Classification des Picinées ou Pics, devant servir de bas a une Monographie de ces Oiseaux grimpeurs, Accompagnée de planches peintes. **
[The Generic name Linneopicus is found on pp. 52-53, only covering one single species "Linneopicus Herminieri", today's Guadeloupe Woodpecker Melanerpes herminieri.]

**Note: Not equal of the article, with the same title, published in the journal Mémoires de l ̓Académie National de Metz 1949, pp. 313-367.

2 X lönnbergi (loennbergi)
● the invalid subspecies "Troglodytes troglodytes lönnbergi" MOMIYAMA 1927, later a k a loennbergi [syn. (Nannus) Troglodytes troglodytes dauricus DYBOWSKI & TACZANOWSKI 1884]
OD in: Momiyama, Toku Taro. 1927. Descriptions of twenty-five new birds and three additions from Japanese Territories. Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis 1 (1): 81-101 ["lönnbergi" on pp. 90-91].

● the invalid subspecies "Chloris sinica lönnbergi". MOMIYAMA 1928 later a k a loennbergi [syn. Chloris sinica kawarahiba TEMMINCK 1836]
OD in: Momiyama, Toku Taro. 1928. A catalogue of the bird-skins made by Mr. Matakiti Tatibana in Southern Sakhalin during May 1926 to January 1927. Annotationes Ornithologiae Orientalis 1 (2), 171–200 ["lönnbergi" on pp. 179-180].

solanderi
● the most often invalid, but still debated and highly questioned, subspecies "Pseudoprion turtur solanderi" MATHEWS 1912 [syn. of either Pachyptila t. turtur KUHL 1820 or of monotypic Pachyptila belcheri MATHEWS 1912 … ?!?].
OD in: Mathews, Gregory Macalister. 1912 (1912-1913). Birds of Australia, vol. 2 [solanderi on p. 220].

sparmanni
● the invalid species "Ps. [Psittacus] Sparmanni" [sic] BECHSTEIN 1811, based on "La Perruche Sparrmann" LEVAILLANT 1801 [whithout any scientific names], which (in its turn) was based on "Psittacus cyaneus" SPARRMAN 1787 [syn. Vini peruviana MÜLLER 1776]
OD in: Bechstein, Johann Matthäus. 1811. Johann Lathams allgeine Uebersicht der Vögel / Kurze Uebersicht aller bekannten Vögel oder ihre Kennzeichen der Art nach Lathams General Synopsis of Birds und seinem Index ornithologicus. Vol. 4, Part 1. Adam Gottlieb Schneider und Weigel, Nürnberg ["Sparmanni" on p. 80].

Well, that´s it.

Thank you all for helping me out in this matter!

:t:

Björn

PS. I´ll be back, in due course, with a more detailed presentation of their various etymologies (though nothing seems to indicate anything being different from what is already known). If anyone cannot wait, see their respective names in the HBW Alive Key (here).
---

Attachments

• bergmani MOMIYAMA 1931 .jpg
    bergmani MOMIYAMA 1931 .jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Linneopicus MALHERBE 1850. .jpg
    Linneopicus MALHERBE 1850. .jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 2 X Momiyama 1927 .jpg
    2 X Momiyama 1927 .jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 67
  • solanderi MATHEWS 1912 .jpg
    solanderi MATHEWS 1912 .jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Ps. Sparmanni BECHSTEIN 1811.jpg
    Ps. Sparmanni BECHSTEIN 1811.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Bechstein (1811)

Dear Calalp, Björn,

For ages I've been looking for a digital copy of Bechstein (1811). It would appear to be a preciously rare book, which is not held by e.g. any library associated with the biodiversitylibrary-collective. On animalbase.org, it is scheduled to be digitalized for a long time now. It is one of the few early 19th century-works containing many new bird names that is still unavailable on the internet.
Could you tell me how you got a hold of it?

Sincerely & best regards

Could you tell me how you got a hold of it?
I only e-mailed the Kiel University Library in Germany and asked for copies. As simple as that.

Unfortunatelly I cannot offer you to share my copies, as I only asked for a single page (the entry of "Sparmanni") and the title Page/s.

So; try an e-mail to Kiel (very helpful and quick) or check the WorldCat to see if you find Bechstein in a Library closer to you.

Good luck!
---

Attachments

• Bechstein 1811 - 1. titelsida kopia.jpg
    Bechstein 1811 - 1. titelsida kopia.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back