• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did Swarovski Once Use Carbon-Fiber In Binocular Bodies? (1 Viewer)

45northmt

Am I absent minded in my older age, or did Swarovski once tout the use of carbon fiber (or something similar) in the SLC binocular body? I had several, including my favorite 7x30. Anyone know? Thanks.

Last edited:
No, not many binoculars have used carbon fiber, but Nikon has it in the Travellite V. A lightweight compact.

In the top end, Zeiss used fiberglass reinforced polycarbonate in the Victory FL series.

Jerry

Last edited:
Take a look at the interview with Milos Slany of Meopta for the views of a product developer on the potential of carbon fibre in bino tubes. Sounds like there are a number of issues to be explored and mastered.

Lee

Certainly appears to be a large amount of some sort of fiber used in the older SLC'S:

swarovski-slc-7x50-green-fullsize_1_f7bd891eb65d39335a3504502b6940ca.jpg

swarovski-slc-7x50-green-fullsize_1_f7bd891eb65d39335a3504502b6940ca.jpg

The thread from 8-19-2010, talks about the "SL models vs. the SLC models".

Henry posted a photo, of the SL. It shows the polyurethane casing, so that may be the entire frame from this material, I am not sure.

Maybe someone can post a link to that thread and post.

Jerry

My old Swarovski catalogues from the late 1980s and early 90s indicate that the MkI and MkII 8x30 and 7x30 SLCs had a "robust and deformation proof fiber-glass reinforced polycarbonate housing" covered with a "soft, easy-to-grip, non-slip polyurethane shell."

The descriptions of updated 8x30/7x30 SLC body styles in later catalogues doesn't mention the housing material.

northmt, post 1,
In 1980 Swarovski started production of the 7x42 SL and 10x40 SL porro binoculars. The flyers write: "Gebaut von innen nach aussen, das heist, der bestehende optische kern wird mit Polyurethan ummantelt". That suggests a non-metallic body.
As Henry already wrote in post 7, Swarovski started in 1985 production of the 8x30 SLC roof prism binoculars, which had a "Robustes und verwindungsfestes faser verstärktes Gehäuse aus Polylcarbonat".This 8x30 SLC was followed by the 7x30 SLC roof prism binocular.
Gijs van Ginkel

Gentlemen, thanks for your responses... I thought I was correct, just a decade sooner than I remembered. Memory is a funny and slippery thing...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back