• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Choosing & Using Binoculars arrived! (1 Viewer)

Holger Merlitz

I have now received my copy of Choosing & Using Binoculars by Neil English! Before I had seen major parts of a pre-production version of the manuscript, but now, having this formidable 520+ pages book in my hands, I am all the more impressed. What a wonderful selection of binoculars Neil has compiled, and there are quite a few which I have never ever seen in my life. The book also contains a chapter of 40 pages about classic binoculars which I particularly love. I don't know how many pictures there are altogether, it must be a huge number. Great job, Neil, and I will surely spend parts of the Christmas holidays with browsing through this amazing collection.

Cheers,
Holger

P.S. I believe I got one binocular which is not shown in the book, the BPO 7x30, so I post it here together ...Choosing_Using Binoculars.jpg

I too have this book and concur it is an extensive piece of work.

Recommended as a purchase for reading over the Christmas holidays.

When I spoke to Springer on the phone this morning, they told me they had stopped shipping for the time being. I had ordered my copy on 10 December but it was never dispatched. The man on the phone didn't know why they stopped shipping but said, that the likely reason for this was that "changes" have to be made.

Same problem for me with Springer. :(
I ordered this book at the same time as Holger’s book, on December 13. I’ve received Holger’s book rapidly, but Neil’s book has still not been dispatched.
I’ve sent an e-mail yesterday to Springer, but I haven't received any answer yet.

Jean-Charles

I’ve received recently several emails from Springer. Here are some excerpts :

It appears that the book "Choosing & Using Binoculars - ISBN 978-3-031-44709-9"you ordered is temporarily on hold as this title needs to be corrected.

And today :

We received an update from our relevant team, the post-publication correction is still in progress. The advice is probably by the second week of January 2024 the book will become available.

Jean-Charles

Hello everyone,

Re: Holger- very glad to hear you received the book. Thanks for posting this

To All:
My sincere apologies regarding the delay in the printing of my book. I discovered some formula errors in Chapter 1, which crept in somehow at the final stages but they are now hopefully correcting these. The relevant equations are shown in the accompanying image.
The first equation should appear at the bottom of page 6
The others should all appear on page 14 setting x =0 in the derivation.

Best wishes,
Neil
IMG_9323.png

I ordered my copy two weeks ago, and I received it today from Springer in Germany:)
What a book. I am so impressed, and looking very much forward to spend some time browsing through it.

Terkel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back