• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vote for the most famous BF bino contributor (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the link! I gave up on page 7; perhaps something for a rainy day.

David's motives for bringing up this thread can be assessed by reading his posts in it.

The thread takes some philosophical turns, however, the debate has continued on other threads, and since that time, I've found "further testimony" by both experts and average joes who agree that color balance affects apparent contrast and apparent contrast affects perception of brightness.

As long as you stick in the word "apparent" in there, most "quants" won't argue with you, because they don't know what to do with that word. Some diehards might try to equate "apparent" with "illusion" as their way of discrediting perceptual results.

A lot of debates turn out to be over "semantics," and this one was no exception. I used the term "brightness" generically, as any average joe would talking about how bright something looks to his eyes rather than how much light the optics transmits. Hence, the philosophical tangent.

As Frank D. pointed out if I had used the word "apparent" in front of brightness, the entire debate might have been moot.

The debate behind the debate was about the difference between what is measurable/quantifiable and what is not (or perhaps "not yet").

To some mindsets, if an observation is not measurable or if ALL observers cannot confirm it, it either does not exist or it is outside the realm of science (see Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" for hundreds of examples). I wouldn't argue with the latter interpretation, but I would with the former.

Perceptions do exist and to ignore them or devalue them, because they do not jive with a quantified measurement when talking about optics is like listening to a stereo recording through one speaker. You miss half the information that's coming to you.

Take out all the perceptual observations and opinions about optics that are not quantified from BF threads, and 90% of the posts would vanish! This includes posts by some very experienced and astute observers, and dare I say, even some post by the "quants" themselves.

That was my philosophical objection to those who devalue human perception in favor of quantifiable "results". Even at the quantum level, human observation influences the results!

Okay, that premise (hopefully) out of the way, my assertion is that color balance can influence one's perception of apparent brightness and even "sharpness" (another non-quantifiable concept, not to be confused with "resolution").

You don't need to do any "bench tests" or have a Ph.D. in visual physics to figure this out for yourself. All you need to do is to spend some "quality" time beyond a number of different bins, with at least one that has a "warm" bias, and compare them back and forth on different objects and under different lighting conditions to experience this "truth" for yourself.

In fact, this "truth" is so "self-evident," I'm surprised it was not included in the U.S. constitution. :)

<B>

Thanks for the executive summary, Brock. I have no doubt there is some truth in what you state; you only have to put on one of those yellow driver's sunglasses to experience that even when you're filtering out part of the light, the resulting image can appear brighter.

That said, I'm also thinking I need to look through those binoculars with my own eyes to make my own conclusions.

David's motives for bringing up this thread can be assessed by reading his posts in it.

Ah, Brock. My motives were that Mark asked for a link, and that I recalled with a smile your very best phrase in the entire thread: "given these facts, ... " No animosity intended; I'd agree that EIIs do show remarkable contrast in dense foliage--great for locating pesky warblers.

David

That's easy! ME!

Yes indeed, who else could it be? Our resident troll who resides under our binocular bridge? ;) Fanboy extraordinaire, devotee of the Zeiss FL, ooops, EDG, of which all who do not follow in fashion, are in lamentation, crying and smearing ashes on their sloven objective lens. :t:

Yes indeed, who else could it be? Our resident troll who resides under our binocular bridge? ;) Fanboy extraordinaire, devotee of the Zeiss FL, ooops, EDG, of which all who do not follow in fashion, are in lamentation, crying and smearing ashes on their sloven objective lens. :t:
What are you a wannabe poet. Whew that was bad!

The thread takes some philosophical turns, however, the debate has continued on other threads, and since that time, I've found "further testimony" by both experts and average joes who agree that color balance affects apparent contrast and apparent contrast affects perception of brightness.

As long as you stick in the word "apparent" in there, most "quants" won't argue with you, because they don't know what to do with that word. Some diehards might try to equate "apparent" with "illusion" as their way of discrediting perceptual results.

A lot of debates turn out to be over "semantics," and this one was no exception. I used the term "brightness" generically, as any average joe would talking about how bright something looks to his eyes rather than how much light the optics transmits. Hence, the philosophical tangent.

As Frank D. pointed out if I had used the word "apparent" in front of brightness, the entire debate might have been moot.

The debate behind the debate was about the difference between what is measurable/quantifiable and what is not (or perhaps "not yet").

To some mindsets, if an observation is not measurable or if ALL observers cannot confirm it, it either does not exist or it is outside the realm of science (see Carl Sagan's "Demon Haunted World" for hundreds of examples). I wouldn't argue with the latter interpretation, but I would with the former.

Perceptions do exist and to ignore them or devalue them, because they do not jive with a quantified measurement when talking about optics is like listening to a stereo recording through one speaker. You miss half the information that's coming to you.

Take out all the perceptual observations and opinions about optics that are not quantified from BF threads, and 90% of the posts would vanish! This includes posts by some very experienced and astute observers, and dare I say, even some post by the "quants" themselves.

That was my philosophical objection to those who devalue human perception in favor of quantifiable "results". Even at the quantum level, human observation influences the results!

Okay, that premise (hopefully) out of the way, my assertion is that color balance can influence one's perception of apparent brightness and even "sharpness" (another non-quantifiable concept, not to be confused with "resolution").

You don't need to do any "bench tests" or have a Ph.D. in visual physics to figure this out for yourself. All you need to do is to spend some "quality" time beyond a number of different bins, with at least one that has a "warm" bias, and compare them back and forth on different objects and under different lighting conditions to experience this "truth" for yourself.

In fact, this "truth" is so "self-evident," I'm surprised it was not included in the U.S. constitution. :)

<B>
What did I tell you. Brock should be a politician. He is an expert at skirting the issues. I have never seen anybody write so much and say so little.

Last edited:
To hijack my own thread and change the topic to the most memorable, it would Brock and Dennis. Brock for his humor, Dennis for speaking his mind.

Frank D for his super long Sightron thread. That has to be one of the longest.

Tazzilla for his enthusiasm of his new Meopta HD

Beethoven for his ziess conquest pentax comparison

Sterotruckdriver and his comparison between the el and se

Starfarmer and his EDF- bloody tank that is

Sancho for his China trip swaro comparisons

Herman because he is German and he is in optic heaven

Barshnik because he loves the SV

Ceaser because he got a free camera with the EDG purchase

Torview because he likes abbe koenig prisms

elkcub because he is so dang technical

Looksharp65 because he likes and bought Nikon HG

James bean because he likes them too

NDHunter because he is Jerry

sorry others I am out of gas; I don't have Brock's typing power

Brock is surely the most visible, Dennis the most evil. You gotta love evil! As different as they are, love for the pursuit shines through them both. They supply much of the energy that keeps things cooking along here.

Elkcub, Kevin Purcell, Surveyor, Kimmo, NDFarmer, Hermann and Pinewood all have something unique to offer, and get my extra appreciation. But everybody here has something to share and plays their part well, and thanks to all.

But I'll make a special case for Henry Link. He gives startlingly lucid explanations of optical issues. He devises and skillfully executes practical photographic demonstrations of binocular performance. He is the inside and out master of two Porro darlings of the forum: the 8x30 E II and the 8x32 SE. He shares his hard-bought experience of the advent and rise of the roof prism binocular. He is a collector, but of classy and interesting models only. He is not above the rare subjective observation. (we all have moments of weakness) And he has an agreeably mad side, choosing an 8x56 as his everyday birding instrument and going to some length to defend this highly unpopular choice. Although he is not very prolific, so I guess not the most famous, I rate him the best contributor.
Ron

Last edited:
ummm... what about Charles (Zen-Ray)?

He generated the most popular thread for a very long time.

er... I did say "popular", which doesn't mean "informative". ;)

Brock is surely the most visible, Dennis the most evil. You gotta love evil! As different as they are, love for the pursuit shines through them both. They supply much of the energy that keeps things cooking along here.

Elkcub, Kevin Purcell, Surveyor, Kimmo, NDFarmer, Hermann and Pinewood all have something unique to offer, and get my extra appreciation. But everybody here has something to share and plays their part well, and thanks to all.

But I'll make a special case for Henry Link. He gives startlingly lucid explanations of optical issues. He devises and skillfully executes practical photographic demonstrations of binocular performance. He is the inside and out master of two Porro darlings of the forum: the 8x30 E II and the 8x32 SE. He shares his hard-bought experience of the advent and rise of the roof prism binocular. He is a collector, but of classy and interesting models only. He is not above the rare subjective observation. (we all have moments of weakness) And he has an agreeably mad side, choosing an 8x56 as his everyday birding instrument and going to some length to defend this highly unpopular choice. Although he is not very prolific, so I guess not the most famous, I rate him the best contributor.
Ron

:t:

Henry has the best 'signal to noise' ratio on this thread.

Another vote of appreciation for the contributions of Henry Link, Surveyor, and Kimmo.

--AP

And from me as well. My original suggestions were for most widely recognized. The gentlemen above are certainly the most knowledgable individuals I have encountered in this field. I feel as if I learn something new every time I read their posts.

I personally enjoy the posts of Frank, Looksharpe and NDHunter more than Henry, Surveyor or Kimmo. I don't personally want to read a book on optics and I don't care about if an eyepiece is a 5 piece doublet or what the wavelength of light through some binocular is. I find that boring. I find Franks posts on porro's and unknown binocular models that he brings to our attention way more helpful than optical theory. I have a Sightron 8x32 because of his thread on them and I bought them for $170.00 and they are an excellent binocular for birding. Franks eyes are way more helpful than any of these other guys abstract theories that directly help my birding. Frank is very modest and I always trust his opinions way more than Henry's with his recommendation of the Zeiss 8x56 FL. He has a very KEEN ability to tell if a binocular is any good and that is way more important to me than how a binocular is constructed and he always has his eye on money and how much value that binocular represents. These other guy's posts I can read in a book if I want too. If I had to vote for the best poster it would be for Frank and others on here like him because their talent is unique. The optical engineers at Nikon and Swarovski know way more than Henry and these other guys do about binocular construction and I trust them to build the best binocular possible. Henry is an armchair optical engineer who acts like he should be running Nikon. If he knows so much why isn't he? What is important to me is people like Frank and others on this forum who have this uncanny ability to pick out the best binoculars for the money from all the choices that are available.

Last edited:
Another vote of appreciation for the contributions of Henry Link, Surveyor, and Kimmo.

Seconded. These three have a lot of technical knowledge and know how to explain complex concepts in clear language. And, unlike one prolific poster mentioned several times in this thread, they clearly try to be as objective as possible in their postings.

Which leads to an interesting question: Who is the most infamous bino contributor? I know who I'd vote for even though I don't read his stuff first hand anymore.

Ignore lists are a good thing.

Hermann

Seconded. These three have a lot of technical knowledge and know how to explain complex concepts in clear language. And, unlike one prolific poster mentioned several times in this thread, they clearly try to be as objective as possible in their postings.

Which leads to an interesting question: Who is the most infamous bino contributor? I know who I'd vote for even though I don't read his stuff first hand anymore.

Ignore lists are a good thing.

Hermann

It is not helpful for this thread to set up a public pillory.

It is not helpful for this thread to set up a public pillory.

What I always say: If the pillory fits... :)

Etudiant is, of course, correct, this was supposed to be about the most famous not infamous. I think the confusion over this goes back to my original comment about the definition of famous.

It seems that in today's society, the more "bad ass" you are, the more "famous" you become like Madonna or Lindsay Lohan.

I would argue against Henry, Ron (Surveyor), and Kimmo being the most "famous". Not because they are not "bad ass" enough, but because Surveyor and Kimmo don't contribute regularly, though when they do, their contributions are technical and insightful (even if I don't always understand everything).

Henry is certainly the "go-to guy" on BF when the rest of us are floundering with questions and conjectures over optics and he chimes in with the definitive answer.

Most of the time I agree with his answers, or don't have enough technical knowledge to evaluate them one way or the other. On some occasions I have challenged his answer because I thought it was addressing the wrong question or missing the "big picture."

In these instances, I have sometimes written things I've regretted due to frustration over not being able to make him see the other side of the argument and bridge the "two cultures". Henry, I apologize for any unkind words.

What I also like about Henry is that he doesn't have a "big head" like some experts do (and I'm not referring to Surveyor's avatar caricature :).

Unfortunately, a lot of Henry's gems get buried in BF, because unlike Cloudy Nights, BF doesn't have a technical report section, which I wish it did.

IMO, "popularity" excludes "techies". Stephen Hawking is famous, but he is not popular. Henry would probably win "most valuable contributor" if that were the contest.

If I had to rewrite the OP's post, I would have used the word "most popular" rather than "famous" since unfortunately, "fame" is a word that has been corrupted.

Being "popular" is more about the guy who contributes regularly in a significant way, who rarely gets entangled in imbroglios, who knows his stuff but also knows his limitations, is self-effacing and not arrogant, and is the kind of guy you'd like to have a beer with or accompany on a nature walk, because you know you'd have a good time.

For me, the member that best meets those criteria is Ron Harper.

There are certainly many others who have already been nominated, and I'd also like to buy them a beer (or a cocktail in Arthur's case :).

However, presumably, there can only be one "winner," so I cast my vote for Ron H, a popular BF contributor and inventor of the HarperHyperDrive™ for IF EP bins.

<B>

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back