• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Tobago (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
A rush of blood to the head finds me and the missus heading to Tobago for a week just before Xmas 2008!

This will be primarily a "recharge the batteries" holiday, but I'll be taking the camera and trying to fit in as much birding and photography as is deemed politically correct - I suspect I'll be on a fairly long lead, so the odd day trip will be fine.

We're staying at Turtle Beach (Great Corland Bay) - does anyone know if the Turtles will be laying or at least around the beach at this time of year?

I'd also like to go to Little Tobago - where do the boats launch from, and how would I get there please?

If anyone has any suggestions for half-day or full day trips I'd be grateful.

I'll also try to hook up with Newton George, who seems to be well regarded - any idea how far in advance would I need to book him?

Cheers

Mark

I am sorry to disappoint you, but you are about 1/2 year wrong with the turtles.

Boats for Little Tobago leave from Speyside in the NE. It can be difficult to have the people onboard understand that you want to use all the time on Little Tobago and not 2/3 of the time snorkeling. Even if you talked to the owner of the operation beforehand, that information may not be passed on to the people actually in the boat. They have the problem (they claimed) that they are not allowed to leave you on the island without company.

Its has been a while since I was there and probably the level of difficulty getting Newton George depends on the week in question, worse closer to the holiday.

I am not sure exactly where in Tobago your hotel is, but for outings I have seen others recommend the feeders at Arnon Vale hotel. The wet areas near the airport (Bucco Marsh, Bon Accord lagoon) are also worth checking out for e.g., White-cheeked Pintail etc. The northern forest is best done in company with a guide such as Newton George.

Hope this helps
Niels

Thanks for the info, Niels - shame about the turtles, but that being the case there's no way we could go in their "season" anyway.

Maybe I'll need to look for a boat full of non-snorkelling types?

Hi MSA.

Turtle Beach is on the south-west of the island south of Plymouth. The immediate area is not PARTICULARLY birdy. It would be worth hiring a car for a few days -they drive on the same side of the road as the UK & the roads are easy-going & never busy.

A short drive from your hotel to the nearby Grafton House Estate will give you lots of goodies including Blue-backed Manakin, Blue-crowned Motmot, Rufous-tailed Jacamar, Cocoa & Olivaceous Woodcreeper & an assortment of other supporting cast.

Arnos Vale is also worth visiting as is Adventure Farm (named after the Adventure area & not a Tobago theme park!) -the latter is very good for seeing Hummingbirds close-up.

As regards birding trips -a trip to Little Tobago with Newton George or Darren Hendry is almost obligatory. An early morning 'rain forest' trip is also a must -again with a good guide (Collared Trogon, Red-legged Honeycreeper, Manakins, White-tailed Sabrewing,etc). Finally both of these guides do a half-day wetlands trip -again well worth considering.

You will not see a huge range of birds on Tobago but you will see some quality birds up close & it's a great place for bird photography.

For an idea of what you might get check out the images we obtained on Tobago in july 2006 (ours was a 2 week trip, complete with kids & mother-in-law!!!!):
http://www.pbase.com/rainbirder/tobago

I would recommend Newton George ([email protected]) for a trip to the Rain Forest Ridge (Gilpin Trace) but I don't think you need a guide for Little Tobago, just get the boat from Speyside Inn - they will do different trips for birders and snorkellers.
Your best bet will be to hire a car and get a guide book such as William Murphy's birdwatching guide (http://www.trinidadbirding.com/viewbook.htm) which lists the key sites. Driving around is very relaxed and most sites are easily accessible.

Enjoy!

I stayed close to Turtle Beach earlier this year. Wonderful area. I basically concur with Steve G on his recommendations. A few extra points:

1. At South end of Turtle Beach there is a little lagoon which is worth keeping an eye on - car park right next to lagoon.
2. Grafton Estate is, I believe, only place outside of rain forest to see Blue-backed manikins. If you take the lower path from parking area until you reach a big sign saying something like "No trespassing" and continue beyond this for ~30 yds to where a log has fallen across path. This is where the manikins have a lek (or they did earlier this year). Also they have bird feeding evey morning at Grafton Estate - different species to those at Arnos Vale - you'll see loads of Chachalaca's. The guy who does the bird feeding is happy to take people on guided walks for, I think it was, $10 (US).
3. Bon Accord Treatment Ponds, near the airport, is well worth a visit. Have to observe through the wire-net fencing.
4. Buccoo Marsh is now closed - been bought by a developer (sob). However, I believe that some guides have permission to take people around.
5. Best beach in surrounding area, if you want facilites (bar,food,toilet), is Mt.Irvine Beach. Used primarily by locals, not tourists. You can just wade out and see the fishes and coral !!

Hope this helps.

Cheers
John

I was on honeymoon there in September 2007 and had a wonderful time. On top of the places already mentioned, I had a fabulous morning at the Hilton Hotel/Golf Course. It was very quiet and I didnt have any trouble strolling around. I have to admit I didnt ask permission but they are extremely laid back and didnt bat an eyelid. Just be respectful of the people playing and I'm sure you'll be alright. Birds seen here included Anhinga, Black Bellied Whistling Duck, Southern Lapwing, Smooth Billed Ani, Purple Gallinule, Wattled Jacana, loads of Herons/Egrets and tonnes of american Waders (in fact the whole island was full of american waders). I also had fantastic views of a Fork Tailed Flycatcher.
Another thing you may want to consider is a day trip to Trinidad. Our rep organised this for me and I had a wonderful time at Asa Wright and Caroni swamp. The spectacle of the Scarlet Ibis coming in to roost is sensational.

Gutted!

Tour company has just phoned to say that the charter firm we were booked with have cancelled all flights to Caribbean - the only alternatives are BA or Virgin, which would put total cost up from £1433 to £3154!!

Now I need ideas for a similar-priced hol anywhere in the world, somewhere we can relax in the sun/warm and I can do a little low-key birding - but needs to be over Xmas break. Any takers?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back