• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need ID help in North Carolina (1 Viewer)

sopirate55

Hey everyone, I'm new here and very new to birding. Aside from the obvious backyard birds, my knowledge is very limited. Today I noticed a bird on my feeder. It was probably a little smaller than a chipping, but the head was larger in relation to the body than a sparrow Long thin black bill, wings and back was a slate gray color, light gray to white breast and underparts with a brown head. The color on the head was obviously different from the rest of the bird, and the brown seemed to come down to a point on the lower neck/upper back. The only thing I could think of was perhaps a swainson's warbler, but it didn't have the line above the eye.

I'll keep an eye out for it and the camera handy just in case it shows up. Whatever it is, didn't seem scared of me that much. I was within 10 feet, it just looked at me for a few moments, grabbed a seed then flew off. I almost forgot. I'm in eastern NC in a neighborhood that has a lot of pine trees and a cutover next door. Not sure if that helps.

Bingo! Thanks parula, that was it and I was nowhere close to figuring out that one.

Manning, it's "colorful bird" blend that my wife picked up from lowes. Just looking at it, it looks like a average wild bird seed blend.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back