• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Merlin with a dragonfly (1 Viewer)

NatureLvrCanada

One of my favourite subjects is bird behaviour. I am observing 2 juvenile merlins. They were both very active on the weekend, constantly flying and catching insects. Went back this week and much less activity. The place is big so they could have moved to another spot.

They fly so fast that you're really not sure what they're catching. I am fortunate that they are not shy birds so very tolerant of people. This gives me an opportunity to observe them up close. I see them hawking dragonflies quite a bit (mind you, dragonflies are a prey item for many other birds too including swallows).

I have some close-ups of the merlins with dragonflies but here is one after a successful catch.

http://www.pbase.com/golfpic/image/165974346/original

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back