• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rwanda (1 Viewer)

Not long back from Rwanda - I can't recommend it highly enough. Nyungwe Forest is exceptional birding - accessible (if you are fine with steep paths), great views, fantastic experience. Claudien from http://birdingrwanda.com/ recommended Claver Ntoyinkima as guide, and he was exceptional, finding me almost all of the site's Albertine Rift Valley Endemics. Bosco Bizumuremyi was a great driver too. Amazing views of things like Short-tailed Warbler & Willard's Sooty Boubou. Plenty of other stunning birds such as Black-and-white Casqued Hornbill and Doherty's Bush-shrike.

Volcanoes NP was hugely expensive for gorilla tracking, but I am impressed that Rwanda values its wildlife so highly. They can sell all the gorilla tracking permits at US1,500 pp for an hour with the gorillas; I really enjoyed my time with the gorillas - I didn't agonise on whether it was value for money - for me it was making a big contribution to conservation and sustainable development in the country.

Akagera NP was another great site. A leisurely 16 days in the country left me with well over 250 species, a huge number of bird lifers (my only previous times abroad have been two trips to Ghana), lots of mammals including 10 species of primate (not including humans), leopard and an elephant-shrew. Rwenzori Three-horned Chameleon was the trip highlight.

All in all, the country was so much more than I expected - I was out there principally because my wife had been working with Rwandan schools - great excuse for me to visit! I found it tidy, organised and working hard on putting the past behind them and proving themselves to be an African success story.

That sounds like a fantastic endorsement Julian. Having just returned from Kenya I am already looking for my next African venue and you have certainly grabbed my attention!

Sounds like a great trip

Sounds like a great trip - have you any photos and/or a bird and mammal list. We would like to compare with Uganda trip and see if Rwanda offers additional opportunities.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back