• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P950 for long range ID (1 Viewer)

jlw0017

Hi everyone
I am upgrading my B600 to a P950. I understand that photos at long range may not be excellent quality, but will I be able to clearly ID birds at long range through the viewfinder at x83?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Jayne

I use my Canon SX60 sometimes for long distance ID Jayne. And the Nikon has a superior zoom so I’d say it would be pretty good.

Rich

As I think have been stated in the linked thread, if you cannot see it before taking a photo, take one and zoom in on the bird in the EVF or on the display on the back. This method gave me my lifer hook-billed kite - the guys trying to get a scope set up came too late, the bird had flown.

Niels

I have ID'd birds by photographing them on full zoom, then getting the picture on the screen and zooming in on the image. The image isn't clear, but you can still make out features.

From my experience with sx60, focus simply isn't fast enough for fast moving passerines or birds in flight. Fine for things like waders at a distance though. I've reluctantly switched to an slr for this reason. For these smaller species I've found that a photo record is essential: but perhaps your memory is better than mine... Focusing a hand held 50mm telescope is generally quicker than sx60 for fast movers, but then in comes the problem of false memories/visual impressions. Don't we (all) just wish someone would produce a superzoom which is really up to the job in these circs? Doesn't exist AFAIK...

I got the P900 when I was in Australia last year.

I'd only had the camera for days when I took the first picture of the Cockatiels, first is the uncropped version.

A few weeks later I got the eagle, which I had to jump out of the car to get.

I take my pictures on the pre-set Birdwatching mode with multishot.

Thought I'd show you both uncropped and cropped versions for comparison. Many times I used it to zoom in on a distant bird to try and get the ID. I didn't have a telescope with me. And now, back home, I rarely do use the 'scope. Though that will probably change when they re-open the hides up here.

Attachments

• BF Cockatiel flight Nikon 950 thread.jpg
    BF Cockatiel flight Nikon 950 thread.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Cockatiel flight Nikon 950 thread crop.jpg
    BF Cockatiel flight Nikon 950 thread crop.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 110
  • BF Nikon P950 thread Wedge-tailed Eagle flight.jpg
    BF Nikon P950 thread Wedge-tailed Eagle flight.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 119
  • BF Nikon P950 thread Wedge-tailed Eagle flight crop.jpg
    BF Nikon P950 thread Wedge-tailed Eagle flight crop.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 173
A "little" late to this thread but I have a question, a experience I share with Niels and a comment for Jayne.

On the last birding trip my wife and I were able to go on, we traveled to Texas in March of this year for some of the specialties of the region. I had my Canon SX50, working but slowly breaking down. On the observation tower at Santa Ana refuge, we managed to locate a perched Hook-billed Kite. At a considerable distance and in the gloom of early morning, our 8X binoculars were not up to the task of an actual identification so I mounted the camera on a tripod, maxed out the zoom, setting up a 2 second delayed shutter and got the attached photo. American Birding Magazine will not likely contact me to publish this (though I continue to be hopeful!) but we got the bird we had been staking out for three two hour sessions.
So, yes, Jayne, one can use the super zoom function of any of these cameras to get the identification. This photo is a zoomed-in version as Niels mentioned but otherwise untouched by any post processing.

On to my question, I am planning to replace my Canon with the Nikon P950. Tristate Camera has a price that is well below most competitors. This makes me cautious so I hope to hear from anyone who has had experience with them. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

Steve

Attachments

• Hook-billed Kite.jpg
    Hook-billed Kite.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 129
A "little" late to this thread but I have a question, a experience I share with Niels and a comment for Jayne.

On the last birding trip my wife and I were able to go on, we traveled to Texas in March of this year for some of the specialties of the region. I had my Canon SX50, working but slowly breaking down. On the observation tower at Santa Ana refuge, we managed to locate a perched Hook-billed Kite. At a considerable distance and in the gloom of early morning, our 8X binoculars were not up to the task of an actual identification so I mounted the camera on a tripod, maxed out the zoom, setting up a 2 second delayed shutter and got the attached photo. American Birding Magazine will not likely contact me to publish this (though I continue to be hopeful!) but we got the bird we had been staking out for three two hour sessions.
So, yes, Jayne, one can use the super zoom function of any of these cameras to get the identification. This photo is a zoomed-in version as Niels mentioned but otherwise untouched by any post processing.

On to my question, I am planning to replace my Canon with the Nikon P950. Tristate Camera has a price that is well below most competitors. This makes me cautious so I hope to hear from anyone who has had experience with them. Thanks in advance for any help on the subject.

Steve

I can only speak for the UK but extra cheap prices means grey import over here, ie not through the official importer.

From what i understand Nikon in the USA will not repair these even if you paid

Thanks to you Mike and to you Niels for confirming what I suspected. Thanks to you Jayne for allowing me to hack your thread. Sorry about that! I hope we can compare notes about the Nikon 950 soon.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back