• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your suggestions please (1 Viewer)

Jeff Turner

If we have the will. Nature finds the way.
I will be visiting the sunshine state September 24th to October 10th from the UK, I will be staying in St. Petes Beach area and I am keen to hear your suggestions on the best birding locations in this and the surrounding area.
As this will be my first time in Florida any advice to make this trip one to remember is very wellcome
also feel free to suggest a good field guide for the area and anything extra special to look out for that may be passing through
although i reckon everything i see will be extra special
Thanks in advance

Jeff

I don't live in that area, but have been there - if it were me, and I was in that part of the state in late fall, I'd certainly head down to Fort DeSoto park. It's a serious migrant stopping ground, and has an excellent shorebird selection. It's just down the south end of the island that St. Pete sits on.

I second Justin's suggestion. Fort De Soto Park should be your standby location for great birding for passerines, shorebirds, and terns at that time of year. If you want to see Florida Scrub-Jay, Oscar Scherer State Park near Sarasota is very good for them.

You will be there right around the peak of fall migration of warblers, so a visit to Fort De Soto over the course of a few days should produce a nice mix of species.

Carlos

I'd certainly endorse the Pranty book, which will answer almost all your questions.

That aside, you're in Pinellas county, which (despite being the single most-developed county in the state), has many excellent birding locations. Fort de Soto is absolutely key (avoid weekends, there will be long lines at the pay station and probably elsewhere enroute), but you should also Google Honeymoon Island, Sawgrass Lake Park, John Chesnut Park, Hammock Park in Dunedin and Boca Ciega Millennium Park. You can very easily/quickly pick up some nice stuff right in the middle of Tampa Bay by pulling off the Courtney Campbell Causeway (Route 60) onto the fishing/jogging frontages - water all around, usually very shallow and with tiny beach/mangrove margins.

Slightly further afield, drive towards Orlando on I-4 into Polk and spend a day at the Circle B (http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/circlebbarreserve.html), my favorite inland Florida site.

Last edited:
Yes ft desoto for sure. Also check website pinellas birds. Gives updated info on what's being seen in area along with upcoming bird walks. Also on first Saturday in October will be a bird walk at boyd hill nature trail which is easy to find. John chestnut park and booker creek park in north county can be good. Sawgrass lake park is also good during the fall. St. Pete is where I bird so if I can be of help feel free to shoot me a pm. There is a book that is devoted to pinellas county. Not sure if still avail but check st pete Audubon society web page they may still have copies

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back