• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions on Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Lost,

The only compact I can tolerate is the Bushnell Custom 7x26. Not a "pocket" model, but superb optics.

You won't be disappointed.

I would prefer to get something water proof hence the 3 models I am looking at. On top of that they will be free, so i figured i would get some feed back.

I would choose an 8 power over a 10 power in your circumstances. They will be easier to use. You will have a wider field of view. The "hand shake" factor (caused by normal hand tremors) which is present in all binoculars is less obvious at 8x than at 10x. The 2x difference in power is really not significant for most of the times you will use it.

In the price range of these 3 binoculars you will likely get better optical performance from the Reverse porro prism Bushnell 8 x 26 H2O shown in link #2 above. As a general rule you get better optical performance from a porro prism in this price range than from roof prisms. Inexpensive roof prism binoculars are not known for their optical excellence although they can be transported in a smaller package. The porro prism will be faster to use because you will be dealing only with a single hinge when putting them up to your eyes. Adjusting 2 hinges to your eyes takes a little bit longer.

Try them out individually, if possible, and then decide.
Cordially,
Bob

None of the above.

I also do backpacking and while I'm not a ultralight, (and not interested to be), you know that weight is extremely important. Many peoples has gone with an 8x32 (mid-size) because, while a bit heavier, the comfort is much better than compact. But for backpacking weight is too much important to get anything but compact.

I will go for the Bushnell Custom 7x26 for many reasons. I have these binoculars and they are, IMO one of the few acceptabes compact binoculars. You have to understand that compact binoculars are streching the specs to the extreme limits. The reason peoples are buying a lot of cheap 10x21 is because they know nothing in binos and they are not well informed. If you want compact, you definately have to go mid-price, specially if you want something light.

Many things influence the amount of light transmitted to the eye. The ratio of the size of the lens over the magnification (exit pupil) is important. Also the quality of the glasses that will transmit a certain % of light and the lenses coating that will reduce light reflexion. In full light anything will do. But in the forest, you are mainly in a mid-light environment. This is why, for the mid-priced binos, I consider the 7x26 the be the extreme minimum. Otherwise, you have to increase the lenses diameter if above 7X or go with high price products.

The Bushnell H2O, I was selling these to peoples who was interested in the cheap 8x20 at 17$. The later are pure crap and I'm not a "anything below Swarovski is crap" type of person, not at all. But just for the weight the h2o binos are a tight heavy for backpacking IMO.

As for the Custom not being waterproof, don't worry. Mine are over 15 years and they've literally taken a beating and had to adjust the optics once. You don't use binoculars when it's raining and just leave them on your backpack when it rains. Anyway, while not waterproof, they can take a few drops no problems they are not fragile at all, belive me.

IMO, the least you should do before making the move is learn more about the very basics of binos. Example, learn what are the implication of the ratio of the lens diameter over the magnification (exit pupil). You will understand why peoples are trying to send you in a different direction.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Last edited:
I have a 7 x 26 Bushnell custom classic also. Great little binocular. My only complaint with it is the diopter ring is too loose. I'm always checking the setting on it. It also costs about 200 bucks more than the three that Lost in the Woods requested comments on; one of which he will get for free, when and if he chooses it. I think the reverse porro is the best of that not particularly good lot.

If he really wants a real fine compact to take back packing he should get something like the Zeiss 8 x 20T* Victory at about 500 bucks, but he has his own parameters and the Bushnell 8 x 26 H2O is better than nothing.
Bob

Yes I know there is a good price difference. But, like I said, when going to compact, peoples should avoid low quality products and start with mid-range. And something better than nothing is debatable (no offense) as I found that when you don't have a minimum quality, you carry them but never really use them. Normally it's just a waste of money but for backpacking it's also a waste of lightness...

If you're serious enough about birding to be on this forum, then you owe it to yourself to have a good pair of compacts. Compacts do not deliver like full size when it comes to light transmission near the fringes of sunrise and sunset. Unfortunately, with compacts, to get even close to full-size performance in low light situations, you'll need to go with the Nikon LX L or better. Break the bank, do it, get it over with, and you'll have them for many, many years.

I have the Bausch & Lomb 7x26 Custom. These have morphed into the Bushnell Custom Elite 7x26. At about $250 or so they are the smallest compact with the very best optics you can get for less than about $400 by going into the alpha model sub compacts. About the only thing wrong with the 7x26 is that they are really not shirt pocket compacts. They are clearly superior to any other sub compact reverse porro prism binoculars. As far as my personal history with small and inexpensive roof prism binoculars is concerned what you get makes a better paperweight than a binocular. So if you really want good optics for less than $100 you need to sacrifice some size and look at the Leupold Yosemite.

Do not be put off by the 7x26 as lacking punch. What it gains in image over more magnification in cheap models more than makes up the difference. I use mine in the field irrigating a lot (I use them to check the alignment of all the sprinkler heads on a 1/4 mile line before turning it on), and both the binocular and I have been drenched soaking wet, more than any rain storm, several times and there have been no issues.

Compact, cheap, and good optics is mostly a pipe dream.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back