• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What’s the use of extra wide FOV (if you can’t see it) (1 Viewer)

Have a go under the stars, see how well they stay small as you look towards the edges. A turntable and resolution chart would be the best way to quantify. I got some gooder ones and some poorer ones with regards edge quality, depends if you mainly look in the middle of the field with a a bit of looking about (and awareness of what’s nearby) or if you’ve got “shifty eyes” and only look through the edges..... ;-)

Peter

I have used binoculars such as the Minolta MK Standard with a mirror mount and the star images near the edge of the field are awful if one just lets the stars drift without moving the mirror mount.

However, hand holding and using side vision the edges are not too bad and useful to detect movement or prominent or bright objects.

The Canon 18x50 IS is always stunning on star clusters even with severe light pollution.
Looking at the Pleiades and Hyades in a transparent sky last week I was getting down to fainter than mag 9.0 hand held.
Compared to say the Swift HR/5 8.5x44 hand held the Canon is in a different league for stars.

Regards,
B.

Yarelli

To expand what I said about being able to rove the entire field of view without re-centering,
Stephen, thanks so very much for taking your time and make an explanation with such care and attention (this is why I like this forum so much).
While I understand what you're explaining, my simple problem is that, while using extra wide field binoculars (EII, Minolta Standard, etc.) I simply cannot see the sharp field stop of the binocular by a large margin. It could be due to my facial features, who knows. Just to give you a simple idea of how bad this is: in order to clearly see the field stop of the left side of the left barrel of the binocular I have to turn my head/eyes in such a way that my nose touches the right eyecup almost in the centre (so I end up with an eyecup on top of my nose, not very convenient :D). As you can imagine, if this happens, my right eye simply doesn't see anything and my left eye can see but a tiny crescent of light (see picture attached). I first noticed this in a classic ultra-wide field set of binoculars, and ever since I've realised it happens in almost every wide field binocular (EII, MK Standard, FL 7x42, Dialyt 7x42, etc), the only exception being the 7x33 9,3º Celestron Granite (these are the only S-P prism binoculars of the lot; I know it might sound stupid, but I wonder if this has anything to do).

Attachments

• StandardMK.jpg
    StandardMK.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 10
It is facial features.

Only a few millimetres makes the difference between seeing the field stop with EWA binoculars or only seeing 2/3 of the field.

B.

Yarrelli

You had my sympathies from the word go!

I realised from your experiences and the experiences of Patudo that I had most fortunately struck lucky.

I can't answer your question. But I think I know where the answer can possibly be found: In threads on Bird Forum where posters describe what you see when you view through a binocular with the eyes in advance of, or in rear of, the point of eye relief.

In case though that more on the subject of customisation may help you, I draw upon my own experience of customising a minimal eye relief, wide angle binocular (the Opticron 8x32 SR.GA) to write further as follows.

I insert the comments of Binastro and Peter (wllmspd) above.

Please forgive any repetition.

--------

1. Binastro mentioned the resource of folding down or cutting off the eyecups

2. As a refinement, besides folding down the eyecups of the Opticron 8x32 SR.GA, I bulked out the top of the barrels over the eyecups with six thicknesses of bicycle inner tube (ie three sections doubled back)

The result was barrels of much the same diameter as the barrels of the Minolta with the eyecups folded down.

This may represent the correct fit of wide angle binoculars generally for my eye sockets

3. Peter posted:

'Got to say I’d love some 6-7mm exit pupil 7-8x binoculars with 80degree Apparent field of view... likely impossible to realise or to use (unless you don’t have a nose)'

The Minolta MK Standard 7x35 EWA 11* is a 7x binocular with a 5mm exit pupil and a 77 degree apparent field of view! And I have kept my 20mm wide at the bridge nose!!

4. As I've canvassed, the width of the nose and the inter-pupillary distance are unlikely to be the only relevant dimensions.

The name of the game may nevertheless still essentially be simple: to locate the surface of the eyeball at the point of eye relief above the surface of the ocular lens*.

It may be that in practice I compromise on achieving coincidence.

Thus I just experiment until I get a distance that gives me the full image of the field of view that I desire. Whether the distance does at the same time coincide with the point of eye relief or not, I am not in a position to measure.

-------

Much of what I say you may already have tried with the Minolta or other wide angle binoculars.

You have, I suspect, already done as I did with the Opticron:
* Turned the eyecups down
* Hovered the eyes over the surface of the ocular lens at different heights until you got the full field of view.

(Incidentally, I also got, as an unexpected bonus of turning the eyecups of the Opticron down, a much better image in the outer field. The image was no longer the poor image that some posters on the Forum have criticised).

As above, I then went on to bulk out the barrels so that in use my eyes were supported at the relevant height.

The Minolta will however have constituted a much more difficult proposition than my Opticron: Should your nose be substantially wider than mine, you will also have had to trim, rather than expand, the diameter of the barrels, which of course would not have been on.

So practically you will have been confined to cutting off or removing, rather than turning down, the eyecups.

--------

But for you, I suppose, hovering did not yield you a satisfactory image.

Or you couldn't, by cutting off or removing the eyecups, achieve a satisfactory fit.

Unless other posters can take the matter further on, I am sad to say that you may have to accept that, as to customising your Minolta, you have run out of resources.

Stephen

* You probably know from WJC's posts that it is not an available resource to adjust the position of the point of eye relief. The point of eye relief is a fixed point, and cannot be adjusted. But it's as well to stress the fact

Last edited:
Binastro

I'm sorry that, according to the above order of postings, in my answer post #45 to Yarrelli's post #43, I disregard that you had already answered him in your post #44.

I hope it is just a matter of appearances.

As I remember, Yarrelli's post #43 appeared on Wednesday or Thursday.

I drafted post #45 in response in Notepad, then posted it on Bird Forum. Refreshing my memory from the file date recorded by Notepad, I did so at 18.46 on Thursday. I certainly did not do so, as Bird Forum records in the header to post #45, at 19.39 today Friday.

But if Bird Forum does indeed record the order of postings correctly, I do apologise.

Stephen

[Saturday 12 October 13.00: It has happened again. I posted this apology yesterday Friday about 23.30. Bird Forum has dated it as posted today Saturday at 23.30. So Bird Forum is probably running a 24-hour lag. And I most likely do have to aplogise]

Last edited:
Hi Stephen,
Post 46.

It is quite O.K.
I don't, and I doubt if others, mind about the order of posts.
Although 24 hours delay seems odd.

Regards,
B.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back