• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (1 Viewer)

No mention of the current MAGA which has taken up residence in the lovely county of Gwent. Stuck an awful picture on my blog. Will post some other pictures from this weekend over next few days.
I dont think any of us have been down for it mate.The closest I have come to twitching summat was the Caspian Gull at Dowlais and that was only because I was eating my lunch in the car park at work.
Other stuff seen recently were 2 Shorties up at Waunafon a few weeks back (when we beat Ireland!),a Heron catching Frogs up at Trefil yesterday,Redpolls galore at Alans garden and a female Goldeneye up at the Carno res this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_94652.jpg
    IMG_94652.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9426.jpg
    IMG_9426.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_9966.jpg
    IMG_9966.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0015 copy1.jpg
    IMG_0015 copy1.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 78
I was at Asda yesterday attempting to watch gulls but it was bloody freezing. Stood there for about and hour and a half then gave up. three Kites kept flushing everything which didn't help! Got an iceland gull and a 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull and something else which could have been a Caspian but could have have easily been a Yellow-legged Gull. Couldn't get good enough views.

Lots of Skylarks up Garnlydan reservoir this morning...watched 2 of them fighting for territory for ages - wish I had my camera instead of the dog...also close views of two male reed buntings.

Garden is awash with Redpolls atm and this morning 2 very light species that had hints of common abt them.

Get any pics Al? Did you submit that one from last year?? BTW, if any of your redpolls fancy some bling on their legs just let me know.

The main wet meadow area of the Rhyd-y-blew site has had a 'haircut'. Meadow pipits are now around the edges, which have been left untouched. Eight crows plodding about and the biggest surprise of the evening - a Curlew - staying on the central part of the meadow, occasionally harassing the crows and then doing a couple of fly-arounds before landing again. Good views of it thanks to the recently cut rushes and grass.

Winter to Spring in 2 bird days

Yesterday whilst walking the dog over the Cardi I spotted 6 Brambling in the trees - 5 striking looking males and one female...a little later on I heard and spotted a male crossbill along with loads of redpoll, siskin, golfinch and a single greenfinch....wondered where they had gone as the garden is deader then a dead thing atm. Its the 1st Brambling I have seen all winter so my guess they is on passage to the north.....

From winter to Spring....Garlydan res - had fair numbvers of skylartks n meadow pipts the last week or so but this morning had my 1st wheatear - male. As Platchet says - Spring has srung :t:

Also a pair of reed buntings, a single lapwing too

Osprey flying over the Garnlydan Res at 18.30 this evening.It was heading NW over the moors so may turn up at Llangorse or Talybont in the morning.Managed a very bad pic but as I had just pulled up in the car the camera was on the wrong setting :-(

Have there been any nesting in the area before Mike? I just don't recall any chat about them.

D

Have there been any nesting in the area before Mike? I just don't recall any chat about them.

Nope, as far as I know. But at Llandeggfedd they did put up platforms some years back in the hope of attracting them.

I think the only Welsh breeding records are still the (two?) pairs breeding from 2004 in north and central Wales. I am sure someone will correct me if developments havee occurred since.

Thanks Jos, much as I thought.

I'm sure it won't be long though, judging by the way they're spreading up here.

D

There are others in North Wales but the two nests (the RSPB one and the Wildlife trust one) get all the attention.

Friday 27th April

Late last night I youngest son called me into his bedroom saying there was an Owl perched in the garden...when I got over the shock I couldnt believe my eyes...not one but TWO !! Couldnt get a shot of them as the camera wouldnt bloody focus - they flew off after a abt a minute

three lapwing and one snipe in the centre north of the meadow at rhyd-y-blew on friday evening.
Ring Ouzel out of county west of Blaenonneu quarry, Mynydd llangynidr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back