• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit in Central Spain October 2016 (1 Viewer)

I'd forgotten about this one as I find Pipits very difficult to ID and had filed it away. This was taken last October in Extremadura, Spain.

Attachments

• UID pipit.jpg
    UID pipit.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 95

Thanks James. What's the ID clincher then? I'm no expert, especially with pipits but to me, the lack of bold markings on the flanks and lower breast and the pale legs say Tree to me so what am I missing? I'm not disagreeing, I just need to know for future reference.

Thanks James. What's the ID clincher then? I'm no expert, especially with pipits but to me, the lack of bold markings on the flanks and lower breast and the pale legs say Tree to me so what am I missing? I'm not disagreeing, I just need to know for future reference.

Flanks are actually broadly marked, very broadly, so in case you doubt for Meadow Pipit, check Red-throated, but definitely not Tree P ! :cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back